Cranky
I believe yesterday was my first non-post day in a long time, except for being in Mexico. I just didn't feel like blogging due to a cranky mood. Part of the cause of the cranky mood was going to have a facial. The results of facial itself were actually quite good, but I really disliked the aesthetician. She tried to claim that dermatologists don't recommend anything but Cetaphil because, to paraphrase here, they don't know what else there is and are basically clueless as to how to care for the skin. I find this very hard to believe. What she was basically claiming was that she, as a woman who has completed a whopping 3 months of school (or whatever it is for aestheticians) had a far greater knowledge of the skin than a dermatologist completing medical school. She was also exceedingly condescending and I just can't get down with that. From my experience, it seems that aestheticians, hair dressers, stylists, etc are always very snotty about their work and seem to treat it as if you are committing sacrilege if you don't obsess every night and day about what stupid products you use on your hair, skin, nails and any other superficial surface. Of course, that I'm having this little rant is a bit hypocritical because obviously I care somewhat or I wouldn't spend money on these things. I just can't justify going back to a person like this. The other really annoying thing was that she was very high pressure in product sales; a combination of just wanting her to shut up and my desire to get better skin led me to buy several. Of course, now I'm kicking myself because I doubt the results will be any different from any of the myriad of other products I've tried. She also pressured me into making appointment #2, so now I have to cancel it rather than just not go back. Oh, the other than that was awful was that she was a smoker. I could smell it on the top she gave me to put on. Then, while one of the masks was drying, she said she was going to get water. When she came back and started extractions with her mouth directly over my face, it was so gross because all I could smell was smoke breath. Yuck. I felt sick to my stomach sometimes because it was just such a nasty smell.
Creative
I did manage to make a meal from scratch using no recipe, which pleased me. It wasn't fancy, but it turned out very good. I stuffed some chicken breasts with a stuffing mixture of thawed frozen chopped spinach, melted butter (small amount), 1 egg, some herb stuffing mix, and shredded Parmesan cheese. I had a baked sweet potato with it. D was sick last night (he's upstairs in bed taking his second sick day in the 6 years I've known him), so he didn't eat any.
Ecstatic
Yesterday and today I have listened to NPR podcasts on my iPod while walking the dogs. I am so happy about this development. There are a lot of different podcasts you can get from NPR, including driveway moments. Since I don't have a work commute, I don't listen to the radio much. This way I can keep up with news without having to watch the horror that is any local news broadcast. In any case, I couldn't wait to get out there and walk the dogs this morning because I had my new batch of podcasts to listen to. Awesome!
Completely agree about the condescending stylists/aestheticians, etc. Cannot stand them yet am oddly powerless to stand up to their bullying. I always feel like an awkward junior high kid in out of style elastic waistband pants when I'm around them. I hate them and yet give them gobs of money. Made a stand a few months ago and went to great clips instead. Hated my cut but felt oddly empowered. Anyway--if you figure out any other way to break their hold, let me know. P.S. congrats on the Loreto Bay house--looks fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear that someone else has the same thing happen when they meet these types of people. I can stand up to anyone else, but when it comes to stylist/aestheticians/etc, I just turn into this big old wuss! It drives me nuts. I am going to have to email her to cancel and am trying to figure out what to say. I guess I'll just say I want to cancel and then if she asks why I'll just give it to her straight, but nice.
ReplyDelete