Pages

Monday, September 04, 2006

Organics and Purses

We need milk so something made me to do a search online to see if I could get milk delivered here. In that process, I found Organics To You that delivers local, organic fruits and vegetables on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis here in Portland and surrounding areas. I signed up for the "Bin for One" because I want to ease our way into this to see if I can make it work. Here's what in this week's bin (it changes weekly based on availability and seasonality ... it actually changes daily, but this is the general idea):


2-3 Gingergold/Gala Apples-LOCAL
2-3 Star Krismon Pears-LOCAL, farm direct
1lb. Mariposa Plums
1 Peaches
2-3 Bananas
1 Green Peppers-LOCAL, farm direct
1lg. Jalapeno Peppers-LOCAL, farm direct
1/2 bunch Cilantro-LOCAL, farm direct
1/2 Bunch Italian Kale-LOCAL, farm direct
2 Corn-LOCAL
2-3 Roma Tomatoes-LOCAL, farm direct
.75lb. Red Torpedo Onions-LOCAL, farm direct
1-2 bulb Garlic-LOCAL
1 bunch Carrots-LOCAL
1 Romaine Lettuce-LOCAL

The challenge for me will be thinking of things to make with produce we already have versus thinking of something to make and then going out and buying the ingredients. There are some recipes on the website with suggestions on what to do with some of the produce, so that's a good starting point. Our first delivery should be next Wednesday. I added cheddar cheese and french bread to our delivery. If we decide to continue using it, then I will add milk and eggs. Perhaps this will help us to eat healthier, too.

Today was facial attempt number four here in PDX. I've not had good luck thus far. Today went much better. Enough so that I made a second appointment. We'll see if it has any impact on my ever-worsening skin, but I at least like the spa and the woman giving the facial...two steps in the right direction. I was a bit annoyed with the spa at first because the woman on the phone told me to be there 45 minutes before the facial to relax and do paperwork, but when I got there, they told me it was only 15 minutes, so I had to kill 1/2 hour wandering around. I passed the time by hitting the sidewalk sales in the Pearl District. Found some things I liked, but all were quite expensive (furniture and household items) and not things to be bought on a whim. Oh well - probably for the best.

I am happy to report that after a year of suffering through my Kate Spade sam purse (see picture to the lower left), I finally bought myself a new, more practical purse at (you're gonna love me, Aug!) REI. I loved the look of the KS purse and her bags are the only ones I would ever consider paying that kind of money for, but the problem was I have a semi-permanent bruise on the back of my right arm from getting stabbed by the edges of the purse. The new one isn't very fashionable, but it's nice and comfy and easy to carry around and I can throw it over my shoulder, which I have learned is very important to me. It's kind of hard to see with the black purse on black pants, but you get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:27 PM

    You can use the ingredients search at allrecipes.com. Even if you don't make the recipe(s) suggested, you should get some ideas for brainstorming and you can then either adapt a recipe you already have and like, or, you can use some of the ideas to search other recipe sites that you might like better.

    MavMomma

    ReplyDelete