Pages

Friday, January 12, 2007

Weekend Plans

It's a beautiful, sunny day here in PDX. This also means it's very cold. The dogs and I slept in this morning. They were both pretty tired from the days at daycare. Eddie is starting to show his age. He was pretty stiff last night from all of the playing.

Congrats to my dad who has lost 8 lbs since the start of the new year. Very exciting, indeed!

D and I have a fairly busy (for us) weekend ahead. Saturday evening we have tickets to see Kathy Griffin and Sunday evening we're playing in a poker tournament. I'm sure I'll bust out pretty early again, but I figured it's still more fun than sitting at home while D plays. Based on the weather forecast, KMK and I might be able to hit the dog park on Saturday or Sunday. For some reason, Sunday seems like more of a dog park day to me. Maybe because Sunday's were when RG and I used to cart the dogs over to Chatfield in Denver for the dogs to swim. Seems like a long time ago.

So with China and India heading towards huge gender imbalances, it seems like it would start to occur to people that girls will be more "valuable" than boys in the future. 30 million extra men is the forecast in 15 years in China. If I were in that situation, I would start doing a reverse dowry. Seems to me if there is a short fall of women to marry, then families could start saying that the men's family had to pay them for the privilege of getting to marry the woman. I guess maybe that's more relevant in India where dowry is, from what I've read, still a common practice. Not sure if it is in China. It's hard to fathom living a in a culture where you'd want to abort a child, or kill her right after birth, simply because of gender.

I heard about this site a while ago, but never really bothered to look into it. I've now found a new daily source for news: Digg. It gives a wide range of interesting topics, blogs and news sites. In any case, it is a nice site to visit for those days when "news just doesn't change fast enough."

1 comment:

  1. Hey- I should email you this, but I am here now. Sunday works better for me too. I'm on call this weekend and already know I have to go in tomorrow. K

    ReplyDelete