Pages

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sunrise

I did it!  I got up to view the sunrise.  Sort of.  I was only up there for a few minutes, but I went up to the viewing tower and did indeed look around.  It was gorgeous. I took my camera up to take pictures, but I had forgotten to put the memory card back in, so you'll have to trust me when I say it was gorgeous.   During our next trip, the goal will be to get down to the beach during the sunrise.  I set high goals for myself.

In thinking about what it is about this place that I love so much, I have determined that part of it is the clean lines and solid colors.  For example, looking out my window right now, I see a vibrant blue sky with no clouds.  The houses have very simple, straight lines with little adornment. It just feels very clean, despite the fact that it's so dusty and in the middle of a construction zone.  I guess it feels clean when you gaze upward.  


D and I have a bit of a role reversal going on down here.  He's done all the cooking, a majority of the laundry, and much of the cleaning (except the sweeping - that's my department).  Today he actually said to me, "How is that you just got in the kitchen and it's already a mess again!"  I'd gotten some crumbs and milk on his nice clean counter.  I smiled sheepishly and he sighed, "A husband's work is never done."  


We've noticed that Avery's starting to understand more words.  She definitely knows what it means to go upstairs.  And she'll do the "up" sign even if you're just using up in a sentence vs saying, "Do you want to go upstairs?"  D asked Avery is she wanted to go upstairs to nap and she signed up.  Then he asked her if they should change her diaper first.  She pointed to her diaper when he said that.  As this comprehension of language advances, my concern for our language around her heightens.  D and I speak a bit colorfully at times.  We have a bit of a disagreement as to what's OK for a child to say. I say I don't want my kid showing up to kindergarten saying, "Wow!  That's a big ass bookcase!"  D says he doesn't see a problem with that.  I think what he fails to realize is that our daughter will not have an English accent.  People won't dismiss her language as just the way those Brits talk. Of course, his accent is so watered down now that I'm not sure he even sounds very British anymore. 


All right.  I'm going to tear myself away from the computer and go spend time outdoors.

3 comments:

  1. So, I'm a little late in the delurking, but you knew I was here. My appliance would be a washing machine. And that is based on my recent experiences in a hut in the middle of nowhere. I can deal with buying food every day and cooking over charcoal, but I was about to go nuts washing clothes by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His accent is indeed watered down tremendously, but I do think D's accent is still clearly British.

    I think it would be hilarious if Avery said "big ass bookcase." But I don't know if I would think it was hilarious if Elise said it. :) maybe you should just take one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While D may be okay with "big ass bookcase," I doubt the teacher would be. Perhaps you should teach her to pronounce the more colorful words in a British accent. Or now that you have a Mexico home, start using spanish swear words. :)

    ReplyDelete