Pages

Friday, January 08, 2010

Mesh

Summary
This post contains some stuff from several days ago, so it's kind of a mesh of things.  Since I got my iPhone, I find I spend MUCH less time in front of the computer.  This means I blog less.  Overall, less time in front of the computer is a good thing for me, but I do want to be consistent with blogging because I like going back to see what I was doing a year or two ago at the same time. 
Fit Dejour
Today's (this actually happened a couple of days ago) fit of the day lasted almost an hour from start to finish.  It involved kicking on the door, slamming the door in my face, crying until snot was caking her hair around her face, and generally making me both livid and frustrated.  I was attempting to get Avery ready for a dog walk and dared to remove a container with orange peels from her hand.  That totally flipped her out.  We tried time out after time out.  She finally calmed down enough to not earn another time out and then proceeded to fold herself over into what we call clam shell position. She just tried to sleep like that on the floor while I sat next to her for about 15 minutes.  Finally, I got up and left.  She then decided she wanted to be cuddled - something that she did NOT want during the fit - and turned completely sweet.  I ended up leaving her behind for the dog walk, which turned out to be a good thing because it was very, very cold. 
Gym Gym
Avery asked to go to "gym gym" today. Since I was helping* Christie with her ring of crap** in her room, D took Avery to the gym.  After repeatedly declaring her hatred of the gym gym, she now seems to love it.  Right now she keeps telling me, "I go to gym gym! I see you later!"  Then she leaves the room, closes the door, then comes back and says, "gym gym fun!"  This makes me think that she might really like going to the toddler room at the Montessori school for half days three days a week.

I wrote the above several days ago.  Avery now loves gym-gym.  We just got back and she didn't cry going in to play or when we got her out.

We've also decided that putting her in the toddler program at a local Montessori school is something we are going to do.  The idea that I'll have time to myself during the day some days of the week is almost unreal. The fact that my motivation is less to get time for myself and more because I think Avery will benefit from it is truly shocking for me. I won't believe it until it happens.  I also believe Avery will really love it.  I guess time will tell on that point.
* I'm not sure how much I actually helped since Christie doesn't actually suffer from the "I can't throw THIS away!" syndrome, but I did offer moral support for the process.

** Ring of crap is term coined by Christie and Darren.
Fat Loss Contest
I don't know how I'm doing in relation to the other contestants of the contest (my guess is not great), but I'm pleased with my progress.  Mostly because I'm making very small changes that feel livable long term.  Rather than trying to eliminate all desserts, I'm juggling around my calories such that when I know there's an event coming up where I'll want to eat sweets or dessert or just more food, I cut back before it, or workout more.  That seems, for me, far more manageable long term than cutting things out completely.  I'm down 5 lb since I started, so that's good.  I hope to be very good in Mexico, too.  I'm more optimistic for that since, well, what else is there to do but work out and play at the beach?  Not much is the answer.
Mexico
Speaking of Mexico, we haven't started packing at all.  That will be done tomorrow morning.  We are watching the G kids tomorrow night, then we leave bright and early on Sunday morning (6:50 AM flight).

I'm really looking forward to the warmth more than anything else.  The wind has been really cold up here.  I haven't taken Avery on the last two dog walk because of it.  She needs a little ski mask to wear during this really cold and windy walks.  She's pretty content in the rain, but she doesn't like the wind blowing in her face.  When it does, she now says, "just keep swimming!" which is what I tell her when she complains ... that she just has to put her head down and get through because we have to just finish the walk so we should be like Dory (from Finding Nemo) and just keep swimming.  Where was I?  Oh yes, I can't wait for some warmth.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous about the warmth. So, so jealous. Do you know what days Avery will go to school? Our outings could get a lot trickier to plan! But I suspect you're right, that she will totally love it. Good decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I think ideally I'd pick MWF, but it would make things a lot easier if Josie, Henry, and Avery were on the same schedule! What is Josie's schedule? Hers seems to change or is that just me not paying attention?

    ReplyDelete