Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rewards

Rewards vs. Bribes
This Slate.com article (If You're Good, I'll Buy You a Toy. The difference between bribing your child and rewarding your child) is interesting.  Given the debate I've been having with myself about getting Avery to get into her car seat more easily, it stood out to me. 

I think the reward I am going to use will still be TV on the iPhone, but I'm going to offer it as a reward versus a preemptive bribe as I originally planned.  This means I will have to deal with some car seats fits for a while.  However, hopefully, after she sees she gets consistently rewarded when she gets into the car seat without a hassle, she'll start to reestablish that habit. 
Haircut
I got my haircut today.  The guy who cuts my hair was in the middle of figuring out when to go to Baltimore to do his client's hair there.  There are clients who fly stylists across the country.  Seriously?  And I was shocked when he told me he had clients in Portland who pay extra for him to come to their houses to do their hair.
Rental
Our friends down in Mexico decided to drive their car back to Canada with them for the summer, so we'll have to rent a car when down there this go around.  Ah well.  We've been so fortunate they've let us use their car as often as we have (and will continue to let us do so when it's available in the future), so I can't complain. 
Binders
D pulled out my recipe binders to show the GG's for some reason.  I was so embarrassed at the state of them, which had never recovered from a failed reorg a while back, that I went through them and got the all tidied up again. I do, however, like the binders to have a used feel to them.  Whereas I might strive for the same format in some other area, I like when recipes have a different look and format to them.  It makes me feel like I've assembled something.  One thing I did notice, however, was that recipes printed from some websites (e.g. Allrecipes.com) had a lot of unnecessary advertising and text on the printouts, which distracts from the recipe, and make me not want to make it for some reason, so I cut those recipes out and taped them to cardstock.

1 comment:

  1. Love Slate and that's a great article. I was just thinking about the first (or second) reason stated for not giving rewards and how we do often think it's wrong (ineffectual, etc.) to give a treat for something the child should be doing. But an instance where treats worked great for us - potty training - didn't turn into Henry thinking he should get a treat for everything he does. Nor does he still require treats now that he's learned how to use the potty. Anyway, interesting stuff.

    Don't let me forget to chat with you about the rental car next time I see ya, k?

    ReplyDelete