Pages

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Hunt

HOA Hunt
Our HOA sponsored an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids in the community this morning.  Avery had a good time hunting for eggs, but it was really, really cold.  As I expected, she did not like the dude dressed up as a bunny.  It was interesting because she didn't like being near the bunny, but each time we'd walk away, she'd want to get back a little closer to try getting close to him again.  I love this natural trait in Avery's personality: the desire to keep trying something even when she's scared.  She admits she's scared, wants us to pick her up, but also wants to keep trying to get over the fear.

Of course, I didn't even think to get her a basket for picking up the eggs.  Duh.  I grabbed a clear plastic purse thing as we left that house and that worked out well enough.  Some other kids had makeshift baskets, too.  I'm never going to be the mom who is so excited about some holiday.  There are aspects I enjoy, but I just can't force myself to get jazzed up about them.  Fortunately, I have friends who get jazzed about holidays, so Avery doesn't get completely left out!  We decorated eggs at Christie's house on Friday (a last minute decision when it turned out OMSI was packed on Friday).  Tomorrow we have the G's Easter Brunch where there will be an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids.  And come on, the G's brunch?  There really are no other brunches to compare to this thing.

When we got home, she had a great time opening the eggs to retrieve the toy or piece of candy.  We let her have a piece of candy, but told her the rest she had to save for another day.  So she would put her newly acquired toys in one pile, then put the pieces of candy in another and say, "Another piece of candy. We'll save for later."  Her favorite toy thus far is a little plastic watch.  She likes to put it on and take it off and put it on and take it off ...
Lazy Day
We didn't do much of anything today.  After the hunt, we went to have lunch downtown, then picked up some coffee from Stumptown for a friend in Denver.  After her nap, Avery and I headed to Blockbuster and the grocery store.  We rented the first two discs of Mad Men (season 3) for viewing tonight and tomorrow.  Yes, we'll probably get through both.  When we got home, we made a fort in Avery's room and had a good time playing in that.  D's about ready to take Avery upstairs for bedtime.

Avery should be very full.  We had steak and broccoli and potatoes.  Avery loves steak and broccoli, so that is an ideal dinner for her.  The potatoes she isn't that interested in, unless they come in fry form, then she loves 'em.  Interestingly, she's starting to stack foods on her fork like D and I do.  So she'll spear a bite of steak, then put a floret of broccoli on it and eat it all at once like we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment