Today, we went swimming. Avery had a great time with D in the water while I videoed some of it, then read my book for the duration. We had a nice lunch out, then Avery fell asleep in her car seat. She started vomiting about an hour after she woke up.
Aside her vomiting when we had guests over (hi, Stacey!) a month or so ago, she hasn't vomited since being capable of following instructions. The first time, she was shocked something was coming out of her mouth. Truth be told, I think she swallowed what came up, then it ALL came up after that. It went on the stairs before I could get her onto the hardwoods. I didn't think to explain if she felt that way again that she should go to the toilet. She vomited again maybe 15 minutes later. This time D showed her the toilet and explained she should go there if she felt sick. Wouldn't you know she went there each time following that. It's such a small thing, and I shouldn't be that surprised that she's capable of it since she's potty trained and surely the concept is similar (body feels weird in manner x so you go to location y).
However, it was as I was putting her in bed that I was just amazed by her. I took an aluminum roasting pan upstairs to put beside her bed. I explained that if she felt like she needed to "burp" as she calls it, she should go in the pan. She asked for some water, so I came downstairs to get it. At that point, I hear her vomiting in the pan. She got herself out of bed and vomited in the right location.
I'm totally sure this isn't unusual of a kid her age. But it did strike me that something as simple as vomiting where she's instructed made me so darn proud of her. Not that I would have been upset if she hadn't. But that she did, dang!
I think it must just be food poisoning or something like that. She is not running a fever. We'll see what she's like in the morning. She thankfully agreed to go right to bed tonight. I doubt it'll be a restful evening.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Pride
Pride comes in all forms
Labels:
{a}awesomeness,
{a}health
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I must admit, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how you were going to turn a story about toddler vomit into a story about parental pride. But puking in the roasting pan? Definitely worthy of pride. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you all sleep well tonight!
Good job with your puking Avery!
ReplyDelete(And here I thought puking wasn't celebrated until the College Kegger.)