The Great Paint Drama
So the paint color is growing on me a bit. I've moved from the "Repaint NOW!" category to the "Um, not so much" and now to the "Neutral." I think I might be able to move to the "Like it, don't love it" with time. It's vastly different in different lights. In the bright sun, it's quite orange. However, the rest of the time, it fades more into a rust color and not so in your face.
We did have five swatches painted on the garage to decide if we want to repaint using any of those colors. The color we'd originally picked was one of them we had painted up. The color on our house now is two shades darker than the one we originally selected. I think if we'd stuck with the first shade, we'd be good right now.
Our neighbor, who voted "Um, not so much," stopped me this morning with another neighbor to say she's changing her mind and doesn't think it's that bad. I know that's not exactly what you want said about your house ("It's not THAT bad...") but right now I'll take it because I know it will look much better once landscaping and other architectural tweaks are made. Plus, the color of the deck being darkened will help things.
So, that leaves us with what to do. Right now, I guess we're probably leaning towards not repainting at all. If we do repaint, it'll likely just be the front of the house and it'll be the original shade (which is two shades lighter on than the color on the house). Before you freak out (which is what I did when D first suggested this, as did our designer, so he would freak if he knew I had been swayed) when you think about the front of the house being a different color than the back, you need to know that the colors are not that far off, the sides and back rather hidden from most angles, and there are several other houses in our neighborhood that have done this and it took me literally years to notice despite walking past the houses daily. All that said, my guess is we'll leave it the way it is because it won't drive me crazy to do so and that is the cheapest thing to do.
Survey
Thanks to everyone reading who voted in the our survey. The responses were way more positive than I was expecting, but that wasn't what I was so appreciative of because, after all, I was in the negative category so I can't blame others for being in that category, too. What I appreciated was how thought out the comments were. Most people had very good suggestions and thoughtful feedback.
Night Guard
I have my new night guard to reduce the damage done by my grinding and clenching at night. Thankfully, I remembered that this is a cost covered by our FSA. Some of it was even covered by insurance which surprised me. Sweet.
Avery's Eye
Avery's eye turning inward has been getting much worse at a rapid pace, so I called the eye doctor and got her appointment moved to tomorrow. We can't see the doctor I wanted, but it's another doctor at the same clinic. Basically, when she's looking at things close up, her left eye starts to point inwards and out of alignment. She's also been closing that eye as if she's winking, but I think she's doing it because it's difficult to see with that eye, or that eye is tired.
I'm not too worried about what we'll need to do, but I am relieved to be seeing the doctor tomorrow given how rapidly the issue seems to be worsening.
Other House Projects
The fence for the dog run is now going up. The guy doing it for us has also taken care of a few other odd jobs around the house, so that's very nice. Our back deck is now sanded and stained after it had power washed before The Great Paint Drama of last week.
Mold removal and clean up will start next week, then repairing the damaged areas will take place the following week.
Remind me how much I loathe house maintenance and basically everything to do with real estate if I ever suggest we want to do a fixer upper. Ugh. This is so not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful that we are able to do it financially. And I'm so grateful to have this home to live in and the room to host guests, etc. It just doesn't bring me any joy or interest in going through the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment