Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cure

Race for the Cure
In our case, it was more like Stand, Shuffle, Stand, Shuffle for the Cure.  D left the house before us because Avery and I were so tired this morning.  He signed up for the 5k run; Avery and I signed up for the 1k walk.  Of course, as can be expected, Avery and I missed our walk, so we joined in with the 5k walkers for a bit, but eventually tired of the huge crowd, bypassed the start line, then left the shuffle early to eat some breakfast.  Sleeping in for the Cure is more my speed.  
Date night: Pasta and The Town
Following a dinner of pasta, we saw The Town last night.  It's directed by Ben Affleck, who also directed Gone Baby Gone.  Whatever you may think of his acting skills, the guy can definitely direct.  Both movies were great.  Gone Baby Gone was better, but The Town was still a very good movie. 
House
I completed my masterpiece of manual labor!  Okay, it's a bit higgledy piggledy and not the most attractive thing in the world, but the point is that I did it all by myself (except for some digging by D, but I didn't ask him to help, he just jumped in for a few minutes).  I did lug all the 50 lb bags of paving stone from the store to the car, out of the car into the garage, then out of the garage and to the pathway. You may ask, "Why did you do this, Megan?"  To which I can only answer, "I have no idea."  I guess I wanted to prove to myself that I can actually do these types of things if I decide to do it.  And I did.  And I also proved that I prefer to dial the phone and have someone else do these things for me.  It wasn't so much the physicality of it, but the general cluelessness I have about how to go about doing these types of things.  What I need is a DIY mentor.

I now need to buy a bunch of cheapo bark dust from Home Depot to cover the dirt in the dog run area. We have a section with bark dust on it (that you can't see in the pictures) and the dogs far prefer to poop on that to the dirt.  Plus, the bark dust cuts down on the dirt the dogs track into the house. Also, buying cheapo bark dust means replenishing it as it gets thrown out with the poop won't be painful.  
Before
After
I had this amazing idea for a slide for Avery.  I even went so far as to call a guy who builds custom play equipment for backyards to get it priced out.  Unfortunately, the cost would be around $2500 and that is a wee bit steep for a slide.  What I wanted to do was install a covered slide in the shape of spiral that starts on our deck and then lands on the concrete slab below the deck.  Of course, we'd have to put the rubber stuff used on playgrounds on the concrete.  But wouldn't it be so awesome!  Avery and her friends could go down the slide from the deck and then run back up the yard to go back down - fun and exercise!  And it's making use of our sloped backyard.  Ah well, it's good to dream big.  Maybe we'll win $2500 and decide that this is the ideal use for it.

2 comments:

  1. Props to you for a job well done! I am very impressed with your mad backyard paving skills. Also, the slide would be totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should make the slide strong enough for adults to use! I'd contribute to that project. Or you could charge people to use it like your own little theme park ride.

    ReplyDelete