Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Disappointing

Photo and Video Backup Process
I've been working to get all my photos and movies backed up and organized since my hard drive crashed oh so many months ago.  For the most part, I seem to have not lost too many pictures.  I'm certainly unaware of any important pictures that may have been lost, so that's good.

Video, ironically, I was very confident I had not lost since I backed those up on a thumb drive well before the crash.  Unfortunately, it appears I lost a batch of them.  It's only about four months worth, and some of those months are documented in the various movie clips I've assembled, but it's disappointing nonetheless. 
Surprise!
After an afternoon of not much, we headed over to the Gs to pick up Elise and Nolan for Jay's surprise 40th BD party. On the way there, the girls had a discussion about anatomy.  Avery said something about Nolan having a "peanut."  I corrected her and said Nolan has a penis.  Avery said, "Yes, Nolan has a penis and I have a vagina."  Then Elise started talking about her vagina.  Nolan stayed curiously quiet about his genitalia.

Back to the party ... Jay was definitely surprised!  We stayed for dinner, cake, and presents, then left for our house with the three kids.  Fortunately, all three were cake to get to sleep tonight (perhaps because of the cake? see what I did there cake and cake?  I'm funny.  I know).  I say fortunately due to ... 
Pizza Migraine
About 75% of the time I eat traditional pizza, I get a migraine.  My migraines aren't as bad as I've read others describe them.  I only call them a migraine because that is what the doctor has said I'm experiencing.  I'm quite sure that there is some spice that causes it for me.  I can feel it coming on, then I get queasy, then I have to throw up, then I feel much better.  If I don't throw up, it takes hours for it to subside. 

This has happened since I was a kid. I can't recall if it's always been triggered by pizza, but the pattern has always been the same: headache, queasy feeling, throw up, then be better.  I remember it happened once at a French restaurant in Manchester, England when I was a junior in HS (which makes me sounds like I was a world traveler as a teenager - I was not - it was one trip).  I was so sick that time. For the longest time, I wouldn't eat French food because of it. 

I wish I could pinpoint the offending spice.  It's got to be a spice because (gross stuff coming your way) when it's coming back up, it's always the same sort of bile/spice flavor.  The problem is I don't get a migraine 100% of the time.  I'll eat pizza a few times and be fine, so I forget or figure it is done with.  It rarely happens when I eat pizza from New Seasons or Pizzacato where they do more gourmet things with the pizza.  And it's happened with Italian foods, too.  It's one of the reasons I don't like Italian food nearly as much as other foods. 
Avery
I'm trying to get Avery to make a transition to using the toilet rather than her little floor potties.  It's going well.  Last night, I told her she needed to use the toilet before bed and she asked why.  I said, "Because you're getting bigger."  She responded with, "Yes, I'm getting older and older so I can buy a car."  Damn, she is going to be one expensive child.

Avery talks about her birthday party all.the.time.  I have no idea where she got this obsession from, but it certainly wasn't Damian or me.  When we told her that Uncle Jay's BD party was tonight, she was so excited.  She then said, "It's Uncle Jay's birthday tonight and he's going to open presents and have cake!  But it's not my birthday because my birthday is in December." It's the first time she's gotten the month right out of the blue.  Then she said, "And Nain is going to be at my birthday party! And I'm going to have cake and blow out the candles like this!"  Then she showed us how one blows out birthday candles. 

The actual questions toddlers ask, well at least that Avery asks, surprises me a bit.  I expected questions like, "Why is the sky blue?" and, "Where do babies come from?"  Instead, I get questions like, "How do we get up there?" which is asked every time we drive under a bridge over a highway.   The other day, as we were driving, she said that she saw a lot of cars and that they were hers.  I said, no, the car we were driving in is mine, the car Daddy drives is his, and the cars around us were owned by the other people.  She then asked, "Why are they not our cars?" which then became, "Why do they buy cars?"  I think I eventually responded something like grownups often buy cars so they can drive to and from work.  Which is why I think she now associates buying a car with getting older.

On the way to pick up Elise and Nolan tonight, Avery recounted to us her time out earlier in the day.  She was not happy because she was tired (this nap dropping thing is brutal from a crankiness perspective).  She was being really difficult and demanding all sorts of things, then still wasn't happy if we said yes. Eventually, I told her I was going to take the dogs for a walk and that if she wanted to come with me, she'd need to put on some clothes.  She said she wanted to go, but then refused to make a move to put on clothes.  Finally, I explained I was leaving and that she was staying home with Daddy because she was dawdling.  So, back to the conversation in the car, she says, "Daddy put me in time out.  You took the dogs for a walk and I didn't go."  I say, "Yes.  Why did you get a time out?" and she thought about it and then said, "Because I was dawdling and crying."  So that's a long way of saying that "dawdle" is a new vocabulary word for Avery.

6 comments:

  1. so sorry about your pizza migraine. The most common spices in "mass market" pizza would be oregano, marjoram, and basil. I googled pizza migraine, though, and found a surprising number of matches. It brought up freshly yeasted dough and tomato paste also as possible culprits. Honestly all three spices I listed, I am sure you have in other things, and I expect you have also had freshly yeasted dough as a fine dining lover. Perhaps tomato paste could be it? But I have to say, the migraine trigger that was mentioned that sounded most plausible to me, is onion powder. That is totally something that you would find in a conventional pizza or other conventional chain Italian food that you wouldn't find in freshly made food, such as pizza bought from New Seasons.

    Elise has never correctly answered the question "do you know why you were in time out?" so I am super impressed with miss Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and, thanks so much in your role for pulling off Jay's surprise party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought to Google "pizza migraine." I've done all sort of migraine Google's, but not specific to pizza. Duh! Thank you for doing it for me.

    I think you might have hit the nail on the head with onion powder. I never get a migraine when I cook my own food, even when I make bolognese, in which I include oregano, basil, and tomato paste. I also eat freshly yeasted dough enough to doubt it's that. Marjoram is a possibility since I can't think of any time I've used it in the past few years.

    It was our pleasure to help out with Jay's surprise party. Sorry to have bolted so fast out of there, but I knew that headache was coming and it was coming fast, so I wanted to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about it, I am also prone to these migraines when I'm traveling. I've always thought it was just the stale air or something. However, a common denominator when I'm traveling is eating highly processed food which I would imagine is more likely to have onion powder in it as a flavor additive.

    Wouldn't it be great if the mystery were solved. I'll have to test it out one day. I can't bring myself to try it anytime soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note: I do know that it should have "migraine Googles" not "Google's." I type that type of apostrophe wrong a lot even though when I analyze it later, I know it's wrong. It's weird because I never used to have that problem when I was younger, but I find I make all sorts of grammar mistakes I make typing now that I didn't make when I was younger (I typed "here" the other day when I meant "hear").

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make more grammatical errors now as well. I (dis)credit all the autocorrection tools out there, making me a bit lazy to enforce my critical eye.

    I was thinking later after I commented that in addition to onion powder, garlic powder might also be it? Same reasons, of course.

    I put marjoram in my butternut squash soup, which you've had, but only a couple times. I will make it sometime this fall and let you try a serving of the soup to at least eliminate that one. Cuz, I'm a great friend that way. :)

    ReplyDelete