Pages

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Voting

Tool for voters
Check out this site: voteeasy.org.  It's a very cool tool, but the fact that candidates are measured on their stance on a small number of key issues is a bit troubling for me.  This is not to say I have a better way to match voters with their best candidate match.  However, it does seem that sometimes you want to vote for who someone is rather than what they'll automatically vote for.  Example: I don't want anyone in office, liberal or conservative or moderate, who would accept bribes for votes.  I don't even want that person in office if they are voting for the issues that are important to me.

The other thing I realized is that I am often matched with a non-Democrat.  Not a Republican, mind you, but a non-Democrat.  I have no problem voting for a non-Democrat who can win. However, I still blame the people who voted for Ralph Nader for the election of Bush the first time around. In my view, voting for someone who has absolutely no chance of winning is essentially throwing away my vote. 

Nonetheless, I think more information is a good thing.  Information presented in a clean, easily accessible and fast way can only be a good thing.  Well done, Portland firm.  Who knew other people who love data as much as I do are located here in Portland?
Tradition
Few things anger me more than when people stand behind tradition or culture when defending something that is wrong.  Cruelty to animals is wrong. Fattening up a pig so much that it can't even move is wrong.  Saying you continue to do it because of tradition is wrong.  For the record, I cannot handle looking at any pictures with animals being abused or read any graphic details of abuse, so the link that I've added above is relatively mild.
Picture day
Today is Avery's first ever picture day at school.  Granted, it's at junior preschool, but still, it's a sort of school.  Hopefully she cooperates with the photographer. 
Mexico schedule
D and I decided that we are going to set a schedule for Avery-care in advance.  While we don't butt heads that often at home about whose turn it is to do what, it does tend to happen on vacation.  This is especially true in Mexico, where we don't do much sightseeing or many activities. I think because we both want to be completely on vacation and that never happens when you have a toddler (or should I call her a junior preschooler?)


I've come up with a general schedule and color coded it.  We also agreed that, realistically, Avery will end up watching 2 hours or so of TV each day.  It's just the way it is on vacation down there, so I included that time in the family time sections.  Obviously we'll do things other than just TV.  I should also note that this doesn't mean we won't go to the pool or beach as a family.  It just that the person who is not "on" during that shift has no obligation to go, or, if he/she does go, he/she doesn't have to do the bulk of the work in terms of watching Avery.

Anyway, all this is a long way to say, see those yellow boxes?  Most of those are four hour time chunks that I need to fill with Avery fun.  This is where you, my dear readers, come in.  I'm open to any and all suggestions for what Avery and I can do during our time chunks together.  Christie & Mom, you two will have the best idea of what there is to do since you've been there, but I'm also open to craft suggestions and games.  I can load up on supplies before heading down.  Let the suggesting begin!  Here, I'll get you started (see comments). 

6 comments:

  1. Build a sand castle or 50.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about Avery, but right now Josie is obsessed with drawing. She'll spend close to an hour with some blank paper and markers, and even longer if someone is drawing with her. She also likes playing with Scrabble tiles, which you can buy at Scrap (and probably hundreds of other places). This summer she really enjoyed going for walks and having control of a (cheap!) camera along the way. Good luck--those yellow boxes are ominous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dinosaur (or seashell or butterfly or etc.) hunting is always a good way to pass some time. And if someone can plant a few dinosaurs (or seashells or butterflies or etc.) before the hunt (or very stealthily during the hunt) even better. Along the drawing theme, you can pick up postcard packs that are blank on one side which Avery could paint on (or color or pencil scribble, whatever) and then possibly send to people back in the U.S. Board games might be an option as well. Perhaps taking down a Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders. Puzzles, tracing letters and/or numbers, frisbee... Perhaps a "dig to China" adventure? Or a scavenger hunt? Wait, you could grab a long(ish) stick and tie a piece of string or ribbon on it and have her go fishing! I shall let you know if I can come up with anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing (obviously) or dress up. It's a great time of year to find deals on dress up clothes. She can even lead a parade around the house in dress up clothes and banging on a pot with a spoon as a drum. (One of Ian's favorite activities) Ian also likes Cariboo which is a game from Cranium. OMSI has recipes for flubber and playdoh on their website so that would be two activities - making and playing. Just a couple of quick thoughts. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody I know creates a pirate treasure map (and a great back story about how the legend of the pirates burying their treasure in Loreto etc.) and then actually buries a treasure box with some treasure on the beach somewhere. Then they spend the whole week trying to find it. I was going to do that so we can both take turns hunting for the buried treasure. Need to buy some treasure and a small treasure chest this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, Elise is quite enamored with puzzles lately, especially if we work on it together.

    Elise also really likes her magnetic dress up dolls, and I think Avery would like those too.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2486632&CAWELAID=107515588
    http://www.zappos.com/melissa-doug-abby-emma-magnetic-dress-up-dolls-multi

    Elise likes painting/coloring some, but she adores it if she can get messy and/or if she is doing it on a 3d object (those mini wood things from Michaels, a pine cone, etc).

    Baking cookies or brownies or sugar cookies or somesuch -- maybe with Avery's own kid sized rolling pin?

    I have a book that might yield a few ideas: "Toddler's Busy Book -- 365 games and activities to keep your 1.5-3yo busy" I find it's hit or miss (more miss than hit) but a quick thumb through might give you some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete