Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Paint

Nook update
I painted the nook this afternoon.  Unfortunately, when I bought the paint, I thought I had all needed supplies at home.  I had everything but the pad to go on the roller.  As a result, I painted the whole nook using just a paintbrush.  If I hadn't done that, I think I would have run out of paint, so it worked out all right in the end.  It took me about two hours, which was a bit uncomfortable given the small, awkward-shaped space. 

In a bit I'll take the carpet upstairs to see how it fits.  I'm hoping it's a good snug fit, but I think it's going to be an inch or two too long on either side.  Hard to know because the measurements on the rug I bought were not specific. 
Christmas ... excited?!  WTF?
I'm actually excited for Christmas this year.  I know, I can't believe it either.  Most of it is a result of Avery's sheer enthusiasm.  Some of it is because I feel like I have things a bit more under control this year: I started planning Avery's BD party very early, I have been doing my shopping way earlier than usual, and I'm not putting unrealistic expectations on things. 

The excitement has only increased since our friends Vic & Mike are going to join us for the holidays!  Barring any illness, they're going to drive up from Colorado so they can bring their dog ... who gets carsick.  Yeah, doesn't sound like a fun drive to me, either, but I don't care because I'm just happy they're coming! Woohoo!
Avery and school
For a month or two, Avery went through a phase where she'd cry when I dropped her off at school.  Teacher Carlya said she always stopped about 30 seconds after I left, so I wasn't overly troubled by it.  Nonetheless, it's nice that she seems to be through that phase for the moment.  She happily runs into school - which she did even when she would cling to me when I left - and then yells, "Bye, Mom!" when I leave.  
Avery and sleep
The sleep chart worked quite well, but I fell off the charting wagon when we left for Mexico and haven't got back on it.  She managed to stay in her bed all night on Saturday night, so before bed last night, I got out a star sticker and said she could earn another one if she stayed in bed all night again. She didn't.  Then she asked me for a star this morning and I said no and explained why.  To which she answered, "OK, Mom.  I will try again tonight." 
Birthfamily visit
Avery's aunt (her birthfather's sister) and her grandmother (her birthfather's mom) are coming for a visit - their first time meeting Avery and D and me - on Saturday.  Aly friended me on FB and that got us communicating.  I'm excited to meet both of them.  I'm not nervous yet, but I know I'll be anxious before they get here.  I am so thankful that this visit was set up via FB and email.  So much easier to set things up that way - at least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment