Fridays are turning into my favorite day! For the past couple of weeks, we've met up with Amber & Josie and Christie & Henry at Playdate PDX for a couple of hours. I'm thinking I should sign up for the discount package. I'm not sure if Avery would love it quite as much if Josie and Henry weren't there with her, so that is my hesitation in purchasing a package of passes.House next door
Following that, we all head over to the Tiny Hip Hoppers class the kids are signed up for this session. It's with the oh-so-famous Teacher Erica. Watching the tiny ones attempt hip hop moves is so freakin' cute it makes my head about explode.
We've been speculating on the state of the house next door to us for years. It's never had a real owner. The only people who have lived it were renters (for 2 months) and the builder's family (for about a year). It was built before our house and has been vacant the rest of the time.Company Holiday Party
D kept insisting they were going to have to tear it down since part of it has been left open to the elements for a year or more. I disagreed that would be the only option until I wandered around the back a month or so ago. This is what it looked like:
At one point, they installed an elevator, then ripped it out and just left it like this.
After I saw the pictures, and knowing how long it was left open to the elements in that state, I thought for sure they'd have to demolish it. I asked a couple of guys who showed up the other day if the house was going to be demolished. They said no, that bank funding had finally come through, and they plan to have it on the market by April (though if I know anyone who wants to buy it in its current state, it's available).
Last night was the holiday party for D's work. I much prefer doing it in January when things have calmed down a bit. The white elephant gift exchange was a lot of fun. We ended up with ... wait for it ... a label maker! To be clear, it's a better label maker than the one I currently have. Yes, it's a bit unnecessary, but other than a teapot, I didn't want any of the other gifts.Entertainment at CdT
On Friday, we had a rare night off with neither us nor the G's having a date night. I figured we'd do a family movie night. It sort of morphed into allowing Avery to watch a movie while I tidied up the kitchen, but a movie was watched and it was night and we are a family so there you go. Anyway, in order to get the movie, I signed up for Netflix for the free month trial. I truly thought I'd just cancel it in 30 days and be done with it. Nope. I love the instant watching of movies. Not all movies available through Netflix are available for instant watching, but you also get to have 1 DVD at a time with the instant watching membership.Sewing Class
Video on demand is certainly nothing new. We've used pay per view a few times in the past years, but for the most part it was a pain in the ass because of our TiVo and the configuration of our TVs. The other thing about Pay Per View is the cost. It seems excessively expensive to me. Whereas Netflix is $10 per month and you can watch as much or as little as you want.
We've also had a Netflix membership in the past, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It was when we were in Denver, I know that. It wasn't worth it for us because we saw so many movies in the theater. I think there's also a mental block for me about actually putting a DVD in the machine and sitting down to watch it. It's like a task that I feel obligated to do versus an enjoying activity of watching a movie. The DVD makes it feel like an obligation to me. I don't like unnecessary obligations. And this is why the instant watching feels so awesome.
My first sewing class starts tomorrow. I have all my supplies except for the material. That seems rather important. I'm looking forward to learning how to do basic things. My first task after (hopefully) becoming somewhat competent is making new drapes for Avery's room. The navy blue ones are too heavy for her personality, so I'd like to put up something more Avery-like in her room.



We're thinking of buying the package deal, too. Let's just do it! We've still got a ways to go with the less-than-stellar weather so we're bound to use it, right?
ReplyDeleteAlso, don't forget to wash your fabric!
I just went to their website to see what the package deal is. I see that it's going to double in price once these kids turn 4. Yikes! I better go a lot in the next few months. :)
ReplyDeleteMust get to washing my fabric (I forgot--thanks Christie!). See you at class!