Timbers Game & Timbers Game Fallout
Avery did awesome at the game last night. She was engaged the whole game according to D, she could describe her favorite part of the game (watching D wave a big flag), and she was still wide awake when they got home at 11 pm. She fell asleep about 11:30, I think.
Avery did not do awesome today as a result of said very late bedtime. My friends (you know who you are) looked at me a bit incredulously when I said Avery was going to the game despite the late start time. Originally, that was my reaction too when I found out the start time. D pointed out it wasn't that late and she's been up that late before without dire consequences. With time, it became a given in mind that she'd go, which was why I said to the aforementioned incredulous friends, "Late nights every once in a while don't seem to impact Avery." Yeah, half of that is true. The night part of it; the next day part of it, not so much.
In the lobby of D's office building before the game - I wish we'd had a real camera for this picture. So cute.
So today was just awful. Avery was either exceptionally sweet and adorable, or a complete nightmare throwing fits over nothing - and she'd turn on a dime between these two states. Unfortunately, the distribution was something like 10% sweet, 90% nightmare.
Avery is still going to go to the next evening game, but I will 1. ensure that I'm mentally prepared to deal with the fallout the next day (e.g. not scheduling a playdate I then have to bail on) and 2. maybe I'll pick up D and Avery from the game to expedite their arrival home. Something like that. We'll see.
Poop
My stellar day with Avery was only just topped off when the three kids (G date night) were in the tub together. Nolan pooped in the tub. D is out for the night, so I had to manage poop fallout on my own. Ew. I don't know how long they'd been sitting in the tub with poop as I was busy tidying up the bathroom and closet before I noticed something odd floating there. I quickly escorted Avery and Elise into the shower, then transferred Nolan into the shower. Next, I fetched bleach & fishing implements (read: slotted spoon and a large bowl). First, I rescued the toys from the poop-infested water. I put those in a sink of bleach water. Then I scooped the poop, then I let the water drain, then I washed the tub completely out, then filled it back up to the top with bleach water, then I ran the jets just to be aggressive about it. I'll probably end up cleaning that sucker another few times before I can bring myself to use it again.
Elise asked to sleep in Avery's room, so I dragged our extra twin mattress in there. I haven't given them the chance to sleep in the same room in quite some time, so it'll be interesting to see how they do. Update: as of 8:20, they're still awake, but they're being fairly quiet and I'm lacking any motivation to do something about the talking.
Go figure
Fortunately, before Avery's complete meltdown this morning around 10 AM, I managed to make both banana bread and the meat sauce for tonight's dinner. In the banana bread, I substituted brown rice flour for regular flour and guess what? Best banana bread I've ever made. Not "good for gluten free" bread; best bread ever. Go figure.
The meat sauce was made for the kids to have spaghetti tonight. I made myself brown rice to mix in with it. Guess what? I actually prefer it mixed in with brown rice versus eating it with pasta. Go figure.

We should've joined forces with our babysitting tonight! Henry looked at me like I was freaking nuts when I told him it was time to go to bed, but he and Josie were both asleep by... 8:30 maybe?
ReplyDeleteJosie had her friend Everette spend the night on Tuesday, and she could NOT stop talking to her. At some point, I popped in there to tell Josie to stop talking, only to find out that Everette was sound asleep.
You left out my favorite part -- Nolan telling you "poopy" before the bath, and then with hindsight, realizing maybe you should have put him on the potty instead. Then you could have taken the credit for potty training my kid!
ReplyDeleteI know. I had forgotten about that until you came to pick up the kids. Kicking self repeatedly.
ReplyDelete