Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

After


The day after

It feels weird without Eddie, though things are much more calm.  He was such a terrific dog and that has been skewed in my mind from the challenges of the last year.  I'm hoping, with time, I'll forget about all the poop and the panting and the annoying things.  I want to I remember what he was like for most of his life.

Turtle seems a little more confused today.  We tried letting her be with us yesterday, but she just kept trying to get love from the vet who was here.  While I believe that some dogs have instincts about things, I think Turtle's instincts are very much lacking.  Anyway, she seems fine overall, but I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to for her.  She's never been without another dog to hang out with.  I think I'll have to start taking her to a dog park again so she can play with other dogs.

Avery spent the bulk of the day with the Gs.  She said goodbye to Eddie before she left (as in, "Goodbye Eddie!" as she rushed out the door).  She was able to articulate to friends visiting from Denver (who are staying with the Gs) why and how Eddie would die.  So far, she hasn't asked about him at all.  I think she will eventually, but it wouldn't surprise me if she waits a month or even longer to ask.  

Yardwork

D and I have grand plans to lay stones in the necessary spots in our landscaping beds out front.  Since we're on a slope, the mulch/bark dust runs off and down the street whenever it rains.  Yes, we noticed this problem immediately last year, but it takes us a while to actually, you know, do something about it.  I know that it won't take us long to accomplish the task, but as people who just don't enjoy yard work in any capacity, this is a Grand Plan.

I had to fix many of our flower pots after Eddie, may he rest in peace, dug up most of my flower pots. I guess we'll see how the plants do considering their trauma.  And yes, the trauma would have been far less had I re-potted them the day they were evicted from their pots, but that would have been the way a lover of gardening handles things.  I, on the other hand, left them there until I felt like dealing with it a couple of days later.

Remaining weekend plans

This afternoon we're all planning to go to the Timbers game.  This assumes they'll let Avery in for free since we'll be holding her the whole time.  Their website says only under 2 get in for free, but when one of D's coworkers called to ask, they said that as long as the kid sits on your lap, it's free.  We'll see.  I figure if it doesn't work out, I'll just go read my book for the duration of the game. 

Following the game, we're heading to the Gs house for a BBQ with the visiting Denver friends - should be fun!

Monday, we're planning to go see Kung Fu Panda 2.  In the evening, we have been invited to a BBQ at our neighbor's house.  After confirming I could bring two extra kids since we're watching E & N, I quickly accepted.  These particular neighbors changed their house by essentially digging their garage a bit lower and then adding a floor in between the garage and the existing second floor.  I really want to see how that worked out since it was fascinating to watch from afar. 

2 comments:

  1. I will miss Eddie when I visit in August. He was a great dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still sorry about Eddie. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete