Eddie's Time
Tomorrow's the day for Eddie to be put to sleep. We've made our decision. The vet will come to our house. It's not our usual vet, but rather one that does this as a mobile service. What a job. I don't want to write much more about it other than to say I'm very firm that this is what needs to happen, both for the good of Eddie and for my sanity, but that I also burst out crying when I have to deal too directly with it (e.g. calling the vet on the phone, thinking too much about it, etc). Eddie has been particularly bold in his stealing of Avery's food lately. I think I've lightened up on scolding (who am I kidding, I don't even say anything to him) and he immediately makes a beeline for any Avery-food left within Eddie reach. Poor Avery goes to the bathroom only to discover her turkey bacon missing upon her return.
Books
I finished my latest book, Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia the other night. On my way to my final IV appointment, I needed another book, so I quickly downloaded one that D bought the other day: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10. I gave it my best shot, but it's written by a Navy SEAL and SEALs are trained to believe they are the best in the world at everything. It was so thick with how wonderful and smart and perfect he and all his buddies are. While I admire the mental and physical toughness of SEALs and am grateful there are those like them willing to do that job for our country, I am definitely not the target audience for that book. Ugh. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. At one point he said one of his SEAL buddies was so smart he would put Harvard professors to shame. I fully believe this is possible of a SEAL, however, the evidence the author used was that he could rattle off the populations of various countries and other statistics. Um, that's not intelligence. That's a good memory and rote memorization. I shouldn't be so disparaging, but seriously, it was so thick with how god-like the author and his buddies are.
So, back to my usual genre. I started A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman. I feel, what?, guilty? embarrassed? weird?, about my attraction to dark subject matter, but I guess it's better to read dark subject matter and learn something about the rest of the world and about other people than to not read at all? Yeah, let's go with that. It's written by a woman who lives in Portland and who is married to a Brit, so there's that draw for me as well.
So sorry Megan. Even if it is time, it can't be easy.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about Eddie, Megan. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about Eddie, too. Our thoughts are with you.
ReplyDelete