Weekend Update
Saturday was a very good day. Avery spent the morning with the Gs since she slept there last night. She was very excited because that meant she got to have pancakes with the Gs. After D and I picked up Avery, we headed to a grocery store to purchase items for a picnic with Christie, Darren and Henry. We, along with Turtle and Beauty, had a nice picnic in the park. It was especially nice because it was so very easy to "plan." Two emails, each with about 3 sentences max, and we'd decided on the location, time, and who would do dessert and would bring entrees and boom! We're set for a picnic.
Upon coming home, D and I read for a bit while Avery played. By the time the G kids arrived for the night, Avery was very ready for some playmates. The G kids spent the night with us.
Condos
We are, once again, considering moving. It hit me a few weeks ago that several of our needs and desires have changed since the last time we pondered this idea. First, we have only one dog now. And as much as I love dogs, I have no intention of getting another dog for quite some time after Turtle leaves us. Second, we have definitively settled on just one kid, so there is no need to think about an additional room for a #2. Third, having a separate guest space for visitors staying longer than a few days is less necessary now. My mom is the only guest who stays for more than 3-4 days. Since she's moving to Portland soon(ish), having that space is no longer a priority for me. For other guests, I have a tentative plan in my mind that Avery's room can convert to a guest room and she can bunk in our room. Anyway, all this puts us at 2 bedrooms and very condo friendly. Turtle's size (over 35 lb) still puts us at odds for a lot of condos, but that's the last thing I'm going to worry about in this scenario. There are too many other hurdles to overcome before worrying about this one.
The idea that we want to be in a smaller place, preferably a condo or town home, is something I'm very confident of. Were it not for the difficulty of selling this place, finding a new one, etc, we'd have done it this weekend, I think.
We looked at places on Sunday, just for the purpose of being in a space about the size we're targeting. I wanted to see if it totally freaked me when I actually saw how much (or how little) space we'd have. It didn't. Nor did it freak out D.
I haven't blogged about this condo thing only because it's been a thought swimming around in my head and the reality of it happening seems too far fetched. It's still something I can't see happening in the next six months or even in the next year, unfortunately. I would love for it to happen. I'm grateful for what we have, truly. However, when I fantasize about what we would do if we won a lot of money, part of that fantasy is always moving to a condo. It's never buying a bigger house or a nicer house. It's moving to a smaller place and moving out of suburbia. So there you go.
Zoo
Avery and I spent 3 h 45 m at the zoo today. It was a long visit. Fortunately, Christie & Henry and Amber & Josie were with us to keep us occupied. We tried to go through the dinosaur exhibit, but Avery was scared at the first dinosaur and insisted she and I turn around. Thankfully, the zoo happily refunds your money in this situation. She has never been afraid of the dinosaurs before, but someone on FB, whose son is now afraid of this when he wasn't before, said perhaps their self-preservation instincts are kicking in. Makes sense to me.
Grocery shopping isn't necessary ...
For the past couple of weeks, I have been thinking, "I don't need to go grocery shopping for dinners. We're going to Vegas in x weeks." Huh? I seem to be convinced that since D and I will be out of town for a whopping four days that we wouldn't want to have any food in our fridge that might spoil. Basically, I've just hit the time of year when I have less than zero desire to cook or prepare meals in any way. In case you're wondering, the other common theme of all huge-money-windfall fantasies is a chef/shopper to take care of all food needs.
No comments:
Post a Comment