Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Specialist


Turtle & her eye
There's much I want to blog about to catch up, but Turtle is occupying most of my brain at the moment.  A bit ago I made an appointment for Turtle to see a vet that specializes in ophthalmology.  I decided that it's worth the consult fee to see if this vet thinks it can be anything simple - or at least treatable with reasonable medications.  I'm not going to authorize any tests that will reveal things that we won't treat (cancer, tumor that must be removed, etc).  Hopefully that approach will keep the cost down while keeping my guilt and worry in check.

Her eye doesn't look quite as bad as it did at its worst, but it's definitely unpleasant to look at.  And her nose is still bleeding a good amount.  She won't drink her food if I liquefy it, nor will she drink Ensure.  She will, however, drink an Odwalla protein shake.  Leave it to my dog to pick the most expensive option.  Ah well, the shakes are quite filling, so I don't feel like she's starving to death if I give her two a day.  She looks quite svelte right now. 

Last day
Today is Avery's last day at her current school.  I was telling Christie that I'm not the parent to have emotional reactions to things other parents seem to react to.  By that I mean that I don't have these "she's growing up so fast" cringes and I often don't get emotional about things I hear other mothers talking about.  Well, I found the thing I do.  I'm having a hard time with this changing of schools thing.  I guess it's because she does so well at her current school, she fits in, she's liked by all the teachers and kids, and it's really been a great experience for her.  Her teacher called me yesterday to see what special treat Avery would like for her goodbye party.  Then she said, "If only I could have ten Avery's in my class."  I almost cried when I dropped Avery off at school this morning.  Avery, on the other hand, is just fine with it all.

I made thank you cards for the three teachers yesterday.  I also got each a gift certificate to Target. When Avery is old enough to pick out appropriate gifts for her teachers, I will go with something more personal than a gift certificate.  However, I have a lot of trouble buying knick knacks that *I* pick out for a teacher.  *I* would never pick a knick knack.  I always pick practical, so gift certificate it is.  At least I made personalized cards!

TV
D and I have started watching a new series on USA called Suits.  I linked to it on Hulu for anyone who is looking for some TV to get them through summer.  Both D and I really enjoyed the pilot.  It avoided a lot of cliches, so I have hope it'll be a good show. 

Books
I'm reading Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction.  A Goodreads friend (and former coworker from way back) read it and rated it highly.  She and I have somewhat similar reading tastes.  It's hard to read, not because of gory detail or awful stories, but because reading about a child who becomes addicted to drugs is gut wrenching to think about.  Oh, and Christie, it was published in 2008.

I'm also reading Children of the Mind, the fourth in the Ender's Game series.  It's not nearly as readable as the other three.  However, D told me the next one is very good, so I will slog my way through it to get to the next one.  D had the same reaction to Children of the Mind as me, so the author must have been having an off period.

Sneak peak

And since I don't have the brain bandwidth (see aforementioned Turtle issue along with Avery's last day of school) to blog about these things, I shall make a list of all I want to blog about:
  • Avery's fit in Colorado
  • Recap of Colorado trip
  • Avery's sleeping situation update (it's good!)

1 comment: