Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Silhouette



New toy


I finally caved and bought an electronic cutting tool.  I absolutely do not need this, but that's why it's a toy, right?  I'm testing it out on cardstock as I type this.  It can also cut very thin paper or vinyl or fabric.  It was easy to set up and easy to figure out how to do basic things.  A first cut reveals that it's very good at small detail.

This tool is definitely better suited for my skill set than the Cricut.  The Cricut is a stand alone machine and uses cartridges.  It's difficult for me to visualize exactly what is going to come out.  With a tool that uses software to lay things out, I can mess around with it on the computer before making any cuts.  So far, their website and the software are easy to navigate.  One feature I'm really liking so far is the ability to search for designs by designer.  A con of the online shop is that you can only see it if you have the software loaded onto your machine.  I can see why they would do that, but it's odd that I can't send a link to someone. 

I just discovered they have sketch pens that can also be loaded and used.  This turns the Silhouette into a plotter that can draw or sketch items from the software.  When I bought it, I didn't know it did this.  I'll have to wait until I have a use for such a purpose, then will have to get some of the pens. 

True to form, I'm currently obsessed with figuring out how to make a particular design in the software.  After watching the instructional DVD and playing with the software for a few hours, I still can't figure it out.  Grrrr.  I posted the question on a forum of users, so hopefully some expert user will take pity on me and respond. 

Anyway, if anyone needs something cut out, I'm your woman. I can't imagine any pressing cutting needs, but you never know. It's good to be prepared for cutting emergencies. And now I'm also prepared for drawing emergencies.



Avery & the new school


There's little to report on this topic.  Avery is really enjoying it, but I wasn't expecting anything else.  She's asked about her old school a couple of times, but it's more a question asked in passing than any angst about missing it.

Typically, I pick up Elise on the way to school, then drop both girls off at school.  RHG picks them up on Tuesdays & Wednesdays, then I pick them up on Thursdays.  Today I brought Elise back to the house where we all enjoyed a nap, then a long playdate at the park with Lily.  It worked out nicely for all involved. 
Weekend plans
Tomorrow we have a playdate at Playdate PDX with Amber & Josie & siblings.  In the afternoon, Elise and Nolan will join Avery and I at home and stay until the G's return from their date night.

Saturday is the company picnic for D's company, followed by our date night.

Sunday is RHG's baby shower.  Eek.  I need to get on the ball with some things.  Don't worry, Christie.  I will. 

2 comments:

  1. I bought a Silhouette a few months ago thinking I could do all sorts of clever stuff for parties. I've been too busy to try it out though. Is it pretty easy to figure out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For someone at your user level, it's a piece of cake to use already designed items. In terms of designing your own items, it's similar to Visio and those types of drawing tools, but different enough that there's a slight learning curve. You could easily have it up and cutting within 10 minutes for designs you buy or that come with it by default.

    PS I shouldn't be surprised that you're the other person who just had to have one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete