Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Favors

Party Favor Giver?
Could the Silhouette make me become a party favor mom?  I have always been anti-party favor.  Kids receive all this little junk and then I have to find a place to put it when Avery comes home.  However, then I saw that you can make mini cake slices with the Silhouette:



They're actually designed to hold a cupcake, but could easily be used as a party favor holder. 

Today I used my trusty Silhouette to make two more charts for Avery.  They're not so much charts as holders for her reward certificates and for the sleeping "ticket" she gets each night she stays in her own bed/room for the entire night. I had been using stickers for this purpose, but when I discovered how much Avery enjoys putting her tickets in the little envelopes I made, I decided to make envelopes and tickets for the sleep chart anyway.  It all sounds very complicated, but it's not.  And the important thing is that Avery has a firm grasp on what she gets and when and why.

To my delight, Avery immediately noticed both charts hanging on the wall and kept saying how much she loved them and asking how I made them.  RHG and Amber will be glad to know I reused the gorgeous wrapping paper Amber used on RHG's shower gift as a backdrop on one of the charts.  
Waiting, waiting, waiting
I'm waiting for RHG to go into labor.  I'm sure I'm not half as anxious as she is given her current state of discomfort, but I so do not like not knowing my schedule.  I keep thinking, "OK, if it happens tonight, this is what I'll do so I can still make my appointment tomorrow."

Our ninth wedding anniversary is tomorrow, so we're hoping to go out to dinner.  I have a couple of back-up plans in case the G kids are with us, but I'm not sure either is worth the (minimal) hassle.  One is to have a second babysitter help out with the extra kids. The other option is to take Nolan to sleep over at RHG's dad's house for the night so the one sitter only has to handle Avery and Elise (easy peasy).  We'll see. 
At least *I* think I'm hilarious
I'm still in my up phase, which is just dandy with me.  The only downside for D is that he is living with a woman who thinks she's hilarious.  He rightly pointed out to me the other night that when I'm in these up phases, I crack myself up left and right.  Then I can't figure out why no one else is laughing as hard.

Speaking of my up phase, I dutifully when to my therapist to discuss it.  She agrees that there's nothing to be concerned about and no reason to take any action at this point.  Basically, if I go into a manic phase (which I've never done, so there's no reason to think I will do so) or start to feel things trending out of control, then I should call her and we'll figure out what to do.  But since it's just happy and a state that is acceptable to others (meaning I'm not out impulsively buying $50,000 cars or staying up all night or things like that), I should just enjoy it. So I am.  Oh, and if you're wondering if it feels as ridiculous as it sounds (talking with your therapist about being too happy), it does. 
New glasses
Avery's prescription changed, so we had to get her new lenses.  Except, it turns out it was cheaper to get all new frames and lenses than just the lenses.  So she has new frames.  They're the same shape, but are black instead of pink (they didn't have the pink ones).  I like her pink ones better, but the black ones are growing on me a bit more.  They're pink on the inside, so they still have some girly flair.  Plus they have a butterfly on the side, which was the selling point for Avery.

BTW, her prescription is stronger, but it means that her eye weaknesses are closer together.  So basically, the patching is working, but it's making her stronger eye a bit weaker.  I don't think this is a bad thing since my understanding of the surgery they do for lazy eyes is weakening the stronger eye to be equal in strength/weakness as the weaker eye.  Basically, the problem is not that the vision is not perfect; the problem is that the vision is not equal in both eyes.  We are to continue with patching as we have been, which is everyday for 3-4 hours per day. Fortunately, Avery doesn't mind it at all and often leaves her patch on well after we tell her she can remove it.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize the new glasses were black. I thought they were just a deep hue of purple/pink. She does indeed love the butterflies on the side.

    But, the real reason I clicked "comment" was to say -- with that silhouette machine, Avery is going to have some kick-ass science fair displays!!!

    ReplyDelete