Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Fire

Kindle Fire
I pre-ordered the Kindle Fire a month or so ago. The selling point for me was its support of Flash. That iPads do not support Flash is a main driver in my decision not to get an iPad. If I'm not going to be able to view a large percentage of websites on a tablet, it really doesn't meet my needs (who am I kidding? My wants.) The other significant factor was size. The iPad is just a bit too big for my preferences. So I bought the Kindle Fire.

So far, I like it well enough. It does what I want it to do - play movies and tv, surf the web, and allow me to read books on it. I'm extremely annoyed with the "homepage." About ⅔ of the screen is taken up with the recently viewed items. There is no way to hide or opt not to see this. As a result, I feel like I have all this clutter that I need to take care of. That is my biggest complaint.

My next biggest complaint is the same one I have for iPads. How is it that none of these tablets (that I know of) have a button on the keyboard that will just insert your email address when you press it?  These things are used to log into sites galore and having to type my email address over and over and over again is ridiculous. It would be so easy to have a button to do this. Why do they not have it?!

Reading on it is much like reading on the iPad. You use your finger to swipe to the next page, can adjust the background color (I read with a cream colored background and the brightness turn all the way down). Most of the time I will still opt to read on my regular Kindle, but this is handy for night reading.

I used it yesterday to stream reruns of Cheers episodes while I assembled Avery's BD invitations.  It was good background noise for that activity. And it preferable to having the TV on (no commercials, not as loud, etc). I also watched a few episodes of Arrested Development since D was out of the evening. That show is hilarious.

Invitations
I finished up all the invitations yesterday. I'm fairly pleased with how they came out, especially considering I had no real plan going into making them, nor did I buy any of the supplies specifically for the invitation. I merely used what I had available.  I'm also pleased that I got to use my Silhouette extensively.

I blacked out the details in the scanned invitation shown below. I used maybe six or seven different patterns for the invitation background. I also did some with purple leotards and pink tutus.



2 comments:

  1. Had you watched AD before? Love it. I think we're partway through season 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have watched most of the first season I think. It was a show I always liked, but for whatever reason, never kept up with it. I'm starting from the beginning even though I've seen most of them.

    ReplyDelete