Pages

Friday, December 02, 2011

Redo

Built-ins in the living room
We're finally going to put built-ins on either side of the fireplace in our living room. It's something that we've intended to do since we moved in, but it is just now taking priority. I'm so very excited. I totally messed up my sleep for the week staying up late on Sunday night drawing a mockup of what I want in the built-ins. I couldn't stop thinking about it until I'd drawn it with enough detail to sufficiently relay my requests to a contractor. I don't have Visio on my computer, I had to draw it in Google Docs. That is to say that it's not nearly as clean as it'd be if I could have done it in Visio. Here it is (clicking that link seems to download a .png file rather than load it in another window - I don't know - just go with it).

I was inspired in particular by the layout of this unit, and the black interior of the shelves in this unit (second picture down).

Items of note

  • Since we'll be moving the TV over the fireplace - which, I want to note is not where I'd ideally like to put the TV, but given the configuration of our room and my desire to see the TV from the kitchen, it's where it's got to be - we want to lower the mantel to get the TV as close to eye level as possible. 
  • In one side (1 & 2), there will be a pull out desk to house an eventual family-computer and homework desk for Avery.  There's no goal to see the TV from the desk, so that it's essentially in the same plane as the TV isn't an issue. 
  • The other large cabinet will be used for storage of toys, games, whatever. 
Sectional and chairs
We're also looking into replacing our furniture with a new sectional couch and a couple of chairs.  We both think sectionals are exceedingly dull, but it'll give us a lot more seating in our living room. We'll have to spice things up with some colorful throw pillows and maybe a colorful area rug since the sectional will be in a neutral tone (a warm grey being the leading candidate right now). 

Smith Decision-Making Expediency
In true Smith fashion, we decided on a whim to go look at sectionals on Sunday afternoon. By Sunday night, we'd settled (in our heads) on a sectional, two chairs, an ottoman and the fabric for all. It was also on Sunday night that I sent the request to meet with contractors via Service Magic. This week, I've met with four contractors and one A/V guy to take care of the surround sound we'll also be adding with this redo. 

I'd feel better about it if I hadn't strayed from our furniture store of choice to check out another one. The second one is significantly cheaper, but we both still really prefer the fabric of the first one. The first place does their own fabric, so we can't just get the fabric and stick it on another couch. Then there's all this information about the way the couch is made affecting how well it holds up, etc. I have no idea what we should do. There are bigger problems in life. Well, this doesn't even qualify as a problem. Just a decision to be made. 

Avery's Eyes
Last week we had a check up with Avery's eye doctor. She's doing very well. The doctor said we can patch fewer hours per day. I asked if it was bad to patch more because Avery often doesn't want to take off her eye patch. The doctor asked if I could have Avery talk to all of her patients. Patching more is not a problem, so we are doing it about 4 hours per day. 

I gave Avery the choice of not wearing her eye patch to school, but she said she prefers to wear it to school AND not to school. Weird. But I'm sooooooo thankful that the eye patch isn't a battle. She very rarely objects to it and usually is enthusiastic to put it on, partially because she likes to open the package. 

I get asked a lot if Avery will needs surgery. The answer is probably not, assuming she continues to do well with glasses and patching. This article explains Avery's situation very well. Avery has accommodative esotropia. I'm finding that it often says online that  accommodative esotropia should never be treated with surgery. I think that's true as long as patching and glasses work to control the inward turn of the eye. Maybe it's true all the time, but sometimes those with accommodative esotropia sometimes develop additional conditions? I don't know. All I know is the doctor says it's unlikely Avery will need surgery and she's doing great. 

Another question I often get is why some kids have surgery for a lazy eye and others don't. I believe the answer is based on the cause of the lazy eye. Avery's is caused by her farsightedness. 

Finally, the other question I get is how long will she need to patch. I think it's possible that we will be able to stop patching earlier, but it seems like there's little benefit to patching after ages 8 or 9.

Other news
There's not much to report in other news. Avery spent the day after Thanksgiving with Christie & Darren & Henry. She even spent the night there. She had a wonderful time, but she also has a bit of a hero worship thing going on with Christie. I can't tell you how many times she points out that she's wearing a purse "Christie style!" or how when she mismatches her socks on purpose that it's "Christie style!" (Christie does not mismatch her own socks, but often does so with adorable results with young Henry.)  Christie is pretty much the first person Avery always wants to show her new clothes to. 

We spent Thanksgiving with friends in The Couv (that's Vancouver to you outsiders). Avery had a great time playing with a little girl named Riley. Riley actually lives very close to us, but we only know them through friends. Avery did not want to leave. She very much liked Riley and her dad. When we left she said, "But Riley's dad is staying there!" We adults had a nice time chatting with friends and eating, eating, eating. 

The day after Thanksgiving, when Avery was at Christie's, D and I went with friends (same friends from Thanksgiving) in a limo for wine tasting. The limo was a stretch Expedition. I am pretty sure this is the first time I've been in a limo, unless you count a beat up one that was used as a taxi when I was in the Bahamas right out of college.  It had all the things you'd think something as gawdy as a stretch Expedition would have: lights, glasses for champagne, wine, whatever, TVs, etc.  It was, however, an ideal way to go wine tasting. Unfortunately for me, my body was not cool with the idea of me drinking anything on that day, so it was pretty much a taste-free day for me. I did find some yummy salami. Nice. 

2 comments:

  1. About those mismatched socks. Um, yeah, I thought the catalog showed it that way to encourage people to throw years of sock custom out the window and go rogue but I'm now beginning to suspect they showed them that way to illustrate the various colors and patterns available. Doh.

    Avery is welcome back any time. Darren put Avery to bed and she WENT. TO. SLEEP. It was amazing! Perhaps with more exposure Hen could learn her method.

    Can't wait to see the room once it is done. And to park my behind on that nice new couch you're getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that look is now known as "Christie style!" It came in handy in The Mexico last time when we didn't have matching socks, so I told her about how you like to mismatch them and she was all over it. "What? My hero Christie does it?! I'm on it! Look Mom! Christie style!"

    ReplyDelete