July 2005 Update
Time for another monthly update. BTW, all who are copied on this should know me well enough to know that if you ever grow bored of receiving these updates, just email and let me know and I'll remove you from the list.
July was a good month with a couple of interesting trips outside of Portland.
Ocean Trip - Damian and I finally made it out west the Oregon coast. We didn't actually get to see the ocean at the first place we stopped at (Cannon Beach) despite the fact that we were actually walking along the sandy beach with Eddie and Turtle. The fog was so think we couldn't actually see the ocean - it was wild. Turtle and Eddie were quite excited for their first walk along a beach and demonstrated this excitement by pulling frantically, resulting in a very cranky Megan. Turtle, who despite wearing her backpack filled with water bottles and empty poop bags, can really pull when she wants to. Eddie, who was walking Damian, kept trying to run after every frisbee thrown by innocent beach by-standers. I thought the trip was headed for disaster and just wanted to get out of there. However, we'd progressed so far down the beach that I knew I'd just have to let Turtle know I was walking her and not the other way around. It was slow and arduous task, and one that made me look like a lunatic, but every time she pulled in one direction I quickly walked in the opposite direction and then went in circles for a while, then we'd proceed along our path until she'd pull again and we'd repeat the process. By the end of the walk she was pulling far less and I was a much happier person. I noticed the other day when dropping Turtle and Eddie at doggie daycare that Turtle started to pull me inside as she usually does and I stopped and she very quickly came back to me knowing that we don't proceed when she's pulling, so I think we made some progress that day. We continued to another beach and managed to see the ocean. It was gorgeous and we started pondering how we could get a house by the ocean. That desire has, for me, left due the fact that our shoes were filled with sand for days and I have been cleaning up little bits of sand from that trip. I could never stand to live right off of a sandy beach.
Colorado Trip - We made it out to Colorado for Michelle's wedding. We were able to get flights using our miles, but due to the limited seating on the flights we wanted, we had to book separate types of tickets. Damian ended up booking an upgraded seat and I was stuck in economy (not his fault). It was rather funny because half way through the flight, Damian heads back from his cushy first-class seat to offer me a bagel and finds me asleep on my tray table stuck in the middle seat. On the way back, he had a direct flight and I had to connect through Eugene. However, I can't complain too much - free flight after all.
Michelle's wedding had the absolutely, hands-down the best food I have ever eaten at any wedding (including my own). In fact, the food was so good that it shouldn't even be judged against other wedding food. If judged against any restaurant, it would hold its own and often exceed a lot of them. We spent the night at a bed and breakfast nearby in Evergreen with Vic and Mike. The next day the four of us decided to go to a driving range to hit some golf balls in Denver. It was darn hot in 100+ degree weather with almost no breeze, but we had a good time nonetheless.
In other news, I've slowed on my reading this month, no doubt due to the pesky work week that always gets in the way of what I'd rather be doing; however, I have finished one more book and started two others:
Crossing California - Finished this one and loved it. I would highly recommend it to most people, though it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Guns, Germs, and Steel - Very interesting so far, but not a book I can just plow through. I fully expect this one to take me quite a while to get through.
The Gate - Not finished yet - not sure I will finish it as it's a little obnoxious and pretentious. It's a true story written by Fracois Bizot (French) who was living and working in Cambodia at the time of the rise of the Khmer Rouge. The prologue writes how the author is a true hero and I'm not seeing it yet.
I got a great response from a lot of you with book recommendations, so thank you very much - it was very cool to see what each of you enjoys reading.
And moving onto the "it's the little things that make you happy" section, a few key things that have just made me so happy this month:
1. Damian replaced the water filter on the water thingy in our refrigerator door. The old filter had resulted in the water coming out soooo slowly it was just painful. I would find myself planning things I could do while waiting for my glass to fill up because it was taking so long. It's amazing how changing it has made me appreciate it more.
2. A flyer was left on our door advertising a service that picks up your dry-cleaning one morning and returns it the next evening. It's just great! Doesn't cost any more than regular dry cleaning and you just have to leave it on your front porch in a bag, then they give you a hook to hang over your door and return it there the next evening.
3. I hate going to the grocery store and I particularly hate making the list for things to get at the grocery store. So I made a template with checkboxes next to our staples and ordered it based on the layout of the grocery store at which we shop. That this type of thing makes me so happy is quite odd, but it does.
4. With my bonus money, I ordered another custom-made piece to match my custom-made desk for my office. It's basically a hutch with adjustable shelves on top and two thin drawers in the middle, and two filing cabinet drawers in the bottom. (I guess this one's not really a little thing, but it does make me happy). I'll send a picture when it's done (6-8 weeks).
5. Portland makes me very happy. I absolutely love it here. I can never quite put my finger on it exactly when people ask why, but it just feels like we fit in here. I never quite felt that way in Denver. The summer is beautiful with completely clear blue skies that contrast with the green trees. I have been walking the dogs everyday up around the cemetery near our house and the view is breath taking. I also really like the fact that the only two movies that have been sold out when we've tried to get tickets were at the art-y theater. While a bummer that we had to go to a different showing, it says something that it's at that theater (which is modern and large), rather than the ones playing "The Dukes of Hazzard." And every time I drive down into Portland, we drive down a winding road through forest - you cannot beat such a commute.
Finally, the movies we've seen section:
Must Love Dogs - We only saw this one because we'd messed up the movie times and this was the only one playing at the time we were at the theater. The acting was atrocious the first 30 minutes then it got much better. I wouldn't go see this at the movie theater, but if it's showing on a flight or on TV, then it's worth watching.
March of the Penguins - Thumbs up, but a little slow in spots. Baby penguins are adorable - big surprise there.
Wedding Crashers - HUGE thumbs up. I loved this movie. Absolutely hilarious.
Broken Flowers - This one was good; however, as Damian put it, you come out a bit confused.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Very good. I really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is brilliant as usual, as is the child actor playing Charlie.
I hope everyone's August in enjoyable!
No comments:
Post a Comment