Yesterday I finished the cutting for both layers of Avery's BD invitations. After about ten iterations of design changes, tweaking here and there, and opinion soliciting, I finally arrived at something that felt right. I'm quite pleased with them, overall. I need to assemble most of them today.
| final invitation with identifying details smudged out |
Did you know that glitter card stock isn't exactly square? I didn't either. I bought 12"x12" glitter card stock thinking I'd just use my hand paper cutter to cut it into four equal 6"x6" pieces. When I then put the first layer of the invitation on top of it, it was ever so slightly askew. I had to alter my course, reduce the size of the backer slightly, then use the Silhouette vs the hand cutter to get a perfectly square cut on each one. Yes, I know it's for a 5yo's BD invitation and who cares, but it was askew! Askew I tell you!
Avery's teacher knows how I like to use my handy-dandy Silhouette, so she assigned me another project. I am to make name tags to go above their coat hooks. They have name tags there, but the pre-made ones that she bought are too long, so she has to stagger them a bit, like bricks. That configuration causes confusion about which hook belongs to which child. So I'm going to make them narrower and change the design a bit. I've decided to do them in the style of London tube stop signs. I'll start on those after I finish the invitations.
family activities
D has been gone a lot lately. He's working a lot, was gone on the NYC trip for quite a while, and we're just generally busy. For family date day on Saturday, we let Avery pick where we'd eat, and she chose Pastini - no surprise there. Then we went to see Wreck-it Ralph. D slept through the first half and I slept through the second half. The movie was actually quite good, so our sleepiness was other factors. D's not sleeping well lately and I binged on candy during the first half, so there was the inevitable sugar crash afterward.
In an effort to squeeze in more family time wherever we can, Avery and I will be meeting D for lunch today. That's good because it'll force me out of the house today. Avery and I have nothing else on our schedule. Tomorrow Avery has three back-to-back activities in the afternoon. Wednesdays are just busy.
activities
I signed Avery up for two back-to-back dance classes starting in January. Dance still continues to be the thing she's most interested in and most enjoys. I'm quite sure she can handle two classes in a row as far as physical stamina and desire to do them. I'm a bit worried about her crankiness level following those two things. I guess you don't know until you try it.
She also loves kung fu. Randomly through out throughout the week, she'll ask, "When's kung fu?" or "What about kung fu?" I still don't think she's put together that the punches they practice in class are meant to land on people. Same thing with kicks. But those things are like 5% of the class. Most of it is focused on learning how to fall and roll, physical agility, things like that.
Several new kids have joined her kung fu class, among them two other girls. Avery and another girl kind of gravitate toward each other, but I can tell Avery now feels totally at ease with all the boys in class. Coincidentally, Nolan's BFF, Gabriel, just joined the class, too. Avery knows him well since he goes to her school. Gabriel's mom told me that whenever Avery is around Gabriel, she's always looking out for him. When he came to join the circle at the beginning of class, Avery loudly introduced him to Sifu Wally. That was sweet, but unnecessary since Sifu Wally teaches Gabriel's two older brothers so he knows him well.
Avery always seems to have a really good time at gymnastics, but it doesn't seem to be something she misses doing if we skip a class. I'm trying to get her (and Henry) enrolled in semi-private swim lessons in January. I guess if that doesn't happen, then we'll do gymnastics again.
Soccer is something she enjoys, but I think only because it's running around in a gym. I don't think skills or the game of soccer appeals all that much to her at this age.
tantrums
We had a major one the other night, but it was mostly my fault. Avery had a ton of activities that day and I knew she was looking for some way to release everything.
Other than that, it continues to go well. I find the tantrums much easier to deal with now that I feel like I have a direction on how to deal with them. Not that things were ever bad between Avery and me, but I feel closer to her. Like the friction is off because I'm not walking on egg shells, and I'm not upset at her for acting illogically.
No comments:
Post a Comment