Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Dinners and Tid Bits

While attempting to find new, interesting, and healthy things for dinner this week, I stumbled across these interesting tidbits on the Washington Post:
  • Kellie Pickler has signed a record deal with a country label in conjunction with Simon Cowell's label. Vic, I'm sure you're thrilled.
  • You can send your kids to cooking camp. I have visions of RG's future children slaving away at camp while learning to make a nice raspberry compote.
  • Rubbing your chopsticks together before eating sushi is considered bad form by the Japanese, as is sticking them in your bowl of rice. I've never gotten a bowl of rice when eating sushi that I can recall.
I think I am going to make the following for dinners this week (tonight - Thursday night - cook on Friday?!):
  • Warm Chicken and Spinach Salad Picadillo with Raisins, Olives, and Fig Balsamic Vinegar
  • Farfalle with Red Grapes and Watercress
  • Cashew Nut Roast with Apricot Stuffing Asian Turkey Burgers
That last one (now crossed out) is from a vegetarian site my dad sent me. I doubt it's low in fat given it calls for 8 oz of cashews. Whoa. I just looked up the calorie and fat information: that's 1306 calories and 109 grams of fat for the cashews alone. I don't think I can handle that. It doesn't say, but if it makes 4 servings, then each serving is at least 500-600 calories when you add in all the other ingredients. However, I'm quite curious about what it will taste like. OK, let's go with Asian Turkey Burgers instead.

Time to walk the dogs, then off to the grocery store to get dinner ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:45 AM

    M--your blog reminded me of something J was reading to me last night, about the biggest fast food offenders. The 'whopper' (no pun intended) was the Burger King triple cheeseburger, weighing in at over 1300 kcal and 109 grams of fat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:15 PM

    yes, the chopsticks in rice thing is common across asian cultures. it basically symbolizes death - very inauspicious

    ReplyDelete