Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Falafel #16 - "I have to be honest..."

If you're going to begin a response with, "I have to be honest..." at least make sure what follows is something that is difficult to say. Not something that is either obvious or really nice.

Scenario 1 - Acceptable Usage
Sue: "Do I smell?"
Me: "I have to be honest, yeah, my nose is stinging and I've been breathing through my mouth."


Scenario 2 - Unacceptable/Annoying Usage
Sue: "Do I smell?"
Me: "I have to be honest, no."


Notice the lameness associated with Scenario 2? If not, I have to be honest with you and let you know you sound like an idiot "breaking" news that isn't actually difficult.

The other thing that drives me nuts about the phrase is that it insinuates that you are not honest all the time because you have to call out the few times you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment