Pages

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Skinny Minnies

I saw this article on YME the other day about too-skinny models being banned from a runway in Milan, but the story is continuing due to uproar from the fashion community: Ban on skinny models shocks fashion world. Here's a quote from the article:

"I think its outrageous, I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women, but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer," said Gould, Elite's North America director, adding that the move could harm careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models.

What about those careers of models that cannot manage to be 5'10" and stay under 110 lb being harmed? I would much rather see a person with real curves and actual meat on her bones walk down the runway so you can see what the clothes would potentially look like on an actual woman. When I was watching Project Runway a few episodes ago and none of the designers knew how to make clothes for anyone other than the skinny minnies that are used to model, I realized how truly skewed the fashion world is. I don't think you can call yourself a designer if you can't design for 90% of of the consumers.

Dinner last night was OK. I had roasted red pepper soup to start and seared scallops with smoked bacon (didn't eat that) and leek fondue as my entree. I wasn't blown away by either. The decor was quite nice, though.

I was so exhausted last night that I fell asleep with the light on and without putting the dogs to bed. I never do that. This morning, I didn't even try to get up to workout early and slept in until 10 AM (after waking up at 7 to let the dogs out and feed them). Very weird. Maybe scallops make me sleepy. I also dreamt that a good chunk of my teeth just fell out. I was in a panic and kept trying to call my dentist back in Denver, but I couldn't dial the phone right. I kept pushing the wrong numbers and would have to hang up and start again. I awoke quite thankful for having all my teeth firmly in my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. I used to have a recurring dream about losing my teeth - I haven't had it in ages, thought. The situation would change, but the recurring theme was my teeth falling out one by one and me trying (unsuccessfully) to put them back in.

    Oh, I tried to post this a few days back about your sheets, but blogger kept rejecting my post. I'm a bit of bedding snob, so I feel your pain on the scratchy sheets. I use 1000 thread-count sheets, always bought on sale of course. They're not necessarily softer than, say, 450TC sheets, but they have a heavier feel/weight to them.

    Interestingly, this month's Money magazine had a blurb on bedding. They said Egyptian cotton is only special if it's ELS (extra-long staple, also called "pima"). Ordinary cotton from Egypt is no different from ordinary cotton from anywhere else.

    They recommended that one look for 100% pima cotton (or "supima" - a trademarked name for ELS cotton grown in the States). They also stated that you don't need to go too much beyond 300 TC to feel babied. I initially disagreed with the latter statement, but in retrospect the softest sheets I've ever owned were "only" 350 TC

    ReplyDelete