Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006

Guy Fawkes Party Planning

OK, I spent some time this morning starting to plan the menu for the upcoming party, but I'm hitting a wall since it's not coming together very well. I thought I was going to do this menu that was in Cooking Light this month, but the salad has spinach in it (I'm hesitant to serve spinach since I'm not sure if people are still jumpy about e-coli), the chili was a vegetarian, and the sides were not that hearty.

We are estimating about 35 people, so I have to be able to make a dishes that can be multiplied to feed a large number. I have hesitation on the appetizers (the last two require preparations right before they are served, though much of the stuff can be prepared in advance) and hesitations that the salads don't really pair well with the entrees. I could do a variation on the crab and cream cheese dip I've done in the past for an easy appetizer.

I also have two appetizers and two salads that I'm trying to decide between. I was thinking I would try them out this week to see which ones I like, but I think I need to nail down the menu before I go and do that.

Here is what I have so far - input is very welcome. I know a Caesar salad is more traditional with lasagna, but I wanted some less dull salads. However, the more I look at it, the more I wonder if maybe I should just simplify and do a Caesar. Hmmm. I could stick with the salads I have and do a pasta dish that isn't lasagna that will go better with the salads.

Drinks

Appetizers

Salads

Main Courses

Sides
  • Garlic bread
  • ?? Maybe garlic bread is enough ??

Desserts (this is the set part of the menu - all from Piece of Cake)
  • Chantilly Cake - Moist chocolate cake iced in cream cheese frosting and topped with a lacy chocolate pattern
  • Chocolate Raspberry Buttercream Ganache - Layers of chocolate cake filled with raspberry, iced in buttercream & topped with ganache
  • Marionberry Poppyseed - Four layers of moist poppyseed cake filled with marionberry preserves & iced in cream cheese frosting.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:21 AM

    M--it looks fantastic but also incredibly time-consuming. It looks like you already have much better appetizers on the menu, but I came across a very yummy, brilliantly easy one the other day--you just blend whipped cream cheese and smoked salmon in the blender and then pipe it onto crackers. Incredibly easy but seems all elegant and whatnot. My other favorite easiest-ever crowd feeder is from the Barefoot Contessa. You take a cooked ham and spread a mixture of mustard, brown sugar, and mango chutney over it and bake it until it is well glazed and it is scrumptious and takes less than 15 minutes. Anyway--maybe doesn't fit into your menu but useful for future reference. I need a good lasagna recipe that isn't too time consuming--how is D's? --MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Good choice to avoid Cooking Light menu. I find it very hit or miss -- when it hits, it's very good, but there's far too many potholes to cook from it reliably. (Some of my favorite recipes have come from there.) I think that 80% of our supper club has abandoned Cooking Light in the last few years.

    Some thoughts:
    - I'd go with a Caesar salad instead of the winter chicken. Caeser just pairs so well with Lasagna. I'd take either of the other two salads for those who want a lighter salad (I personally would pick the pear one). The chicken salad strikes me as way too heavy to go with lasagna.

    - All of your appetizers sound very gourmet. I personally would be thrilled with this, but to feed a crowd, I'd drop one of the three and put forth a fairly standard app (artichoke dip, crostini, chips/veggies+ranch, etc). Even if you think you know everyone has adventurous palates, you can be surprised with spouses/significant others. The pomegranate in particular seems a flavor that a lot of people love or hate.

    I think the garlic bread is enough myself.
    -mavmomma

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB - I think I might do the whipped cream cheese/smoked salmon appetizer and drop the other two. I am worried about oven space and that seems the best route to go. I can't do the Barefoot Contessa because D does not eat pork, but it sounds delicious!

    D's lasagna recipe, from what I remember, is very good. It's also super easy. I will post it when this is all over with.

    ReplyDelete