Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Inanimate Objects

Phone
We have now officially switched all services from Qwest (booooooo!) to Comcast (yeaaaaaaaa!). I only made the switch to screw over Qwest due to bad service when I tried to get the issue with the Internet speed fixed a while back, but it turns out, Comcast Digital Voice has some cool features. For example, I can now listen to voice mails online and have an email sent to me when we have a new VM. Since I check my email far more than I check to see if we have VM, this is quite handy. Also, it makes VM's seem much less painful. I dread the stutter tone it makes when there's a VM. VM just makes me cringe. Anyway, that is just dandy. We also have three-way calling, which I'm quite sure we probably had with our Qwest service, but I'm a phone idiot, so I shy away from all things phone related. I'm now thinking what two other people do I need to have a conversation with at the same time? No one. Crap. What a waste.

Door
In a door staining update, I called 10-15 companies this afternoon and have heard back from none of them. Those that I did actually get through to are either too busy or are not doing any estimating until spring due to unpredictable weather. So, not only did this guy screw us over by stringing me along for months saying he'd do it, he also backed out at the exact time of season it seems impossible to find someone to do this. Amazing. I trusted him since he had done some other work in our house on behalf of our builder, so I didn't ask for an official estimate. If I had that, I'd file a complaint with the BBB. At this point, I guess I just have to take it as a lesson learned. Bastard. This all reinforces two prejudices that I already have and struggle against:
  1. Old white men being bad customer service providers
  2. People who put the Jesus fish on their business cards
TV
We watched some episodes of Brother's & Sister's last night. It's a new show on ABC starring some fairly well known folks (Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Balthazar Getty, Sally Field). It's not bad. We are completely fed up with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. First, if there was any possibility that something could turn me into a religious conservative, this show would be it. When even *I*, a proud liberal, cannot stand the condescension of the ramblings of some egomaniac TV writer (by that I mean the actual writer of the show, not the character Matthew Perry plays), you know you've missed the mark. It's basically literary masturbation in TV drama format. The other major flaw, other than simply being obnoxious, is that trying to make the situations in an SNL-type show seem intense and like they matter at all is just ridiculous. This type of intensity and self-importance works in shows like The West Wing or law dramas because our government and our legal system really does have profound implications on the world; late night TV comedy does not.

Blame
(OK, that's not an inanimate object, but bear with me...) If I hear one more freakin' Republican try to blame the Democrats in any way for the Mark Foley situation, I think I might explode. When you have a known pedophile in your party and you choose to do nothing about it, don't blame the other party for using that knowledge to their political advantage. One R-congressman was being interviewed and when asked point blank if he had any proof the Democrats leaked it, he said, do you have any proof they didn't? What a complete tool. I can't even say that I believe that the Democrats wouldn't have done the same thing and hidden it if the shoes were switched, but that doesn't change that the Republicans are complete tools and should reassess what values they are supposedly trying to represent because it sure as hell isn't ethics, or morals, or the good of this country. It's like everyone who gets elected to office takes some sort of pill that make him/her think s/he's above the law. Morons.

Done. Must workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment