Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Live from Vegas!

D had to pay for Internet access so he could check emails and submit his expense report, so I have access and figured I'd post. We're having a dandy time. Let me outline our activities:

Gambling
This afternoon, V, M, D & I decided to play the MegaBucks slots and split the $10 million when one of us won. We didn't hit the $10 mil, but V won $275 and D won $230, so it was a successful trip to the slots, particularly since we never play slots. D was up about $400 in poker, but I think he just had a bad run at the 15-30 table this afternoon, so he might be even now. I did actually play yesterday when V promised she'd come play 4-8 with me. I actually enjoyed my 6 hours at that table because all four of us were on the same table and that eased my anxiety.

Show
Friday night we went to Zumanity, the Cirque du Soleil show where they are naked. It wasn't good. The main problem was that they tried to be erotic and that just won't work in that type of atmosphere. It just came off a bit awkward and degrading for some of the performers. I think it would have been a great show had they just done a regular Cirque show but unclothed. There was actually not that much nudity - it was mostly just scantily clad people and a bit of nudity. In any case, it seems most people are just curious as to what the human body looks like in all those bendy and strength-requiring positions ... as in truly curious, not looking to get turned on by it. The seats were also very small. I was comfortable, but D looked like he was folded into the seat.

Eating
Last night we went to my favorite restaurant: Picasso. It did not let me down. Here is what I had:
Amuse Bouche: It was an asparagus soup with a "fried cheese stick" ... obviously this is the layman terms to describe it ... it was divine
Course 1: Créme of Carrot and Ginger with Sautéed Maine Ruby Red Shrimp
Course 2: Roasted Ruby Red Shrimp with Poached Bartlett Pears and Cinnamon Chablis Wine
Course 3: Sautéed Medallions of Fallow Deer with Caramelized Green Apples and Zinfandel Sauce
Dessert: Basically a chocolate souffle with a berry ice cream

All courses were excellent, but the deer in particular was amazing. V, M, and D did a wine pairing with their prix fixe meals; D said his wine pairing with a salmon appetizer he got was perfect. V&M seemed to love it, as well, though V got a not-so-great dessert. In any case, I can say I continue to rate this as the best restaurant I've ever been to. We also had the waiter take our pictures in front of a couple of the paintings. One was a $14 million, the other $12 million (all paitings on the walls of the restaurant are original Picassos). We all agreed the ambiance was much better than Le Cirque, but agreed the food was excellent at both restaurants.

For lunch yesterday went to, of course, In-N-Out Burger. No trip to Vegas could possibly be complete without this trip. This afternoon for lunch, we went to a cafe in Monte Carlo I always want to go to so I can order the best pizza in the world. Delicious! Tonight, V has suggested sushi. Who am I to deny her this pleasure?

Movies
Last night, after dinner, we couldn't decide if we wanted to stay in or go out. We ended up watching Little Miss Sunshine in V&M's room. V & D fell asleep, but V did wake up for the best part, so all is well.

Hotel Assessment
Our stay at Bellagio last time was just perfect. This time it's been not-so-great. The concierge had a bit of an attitude with me when I picked up our Zumanity tickets; the Long Island Iced Teas V&M ordered at the pool cost $12 EACH and were horrible; and the food D and I ordered at the cafe was cold and average and they gave D a used napkin. So, we'll not be staying at Bellagio again. Too bad because our last stay was so good.

I sat by the pool today and did crossword puzzles. I was a bit worried at one point that I would burn, so I got up to buy sunblock. I decided to risk it when the cost of one bottle was :$35! Fortunately, I did not burn at all.

1 comment:

  1. seriously...$35 for sunblock??? that's ridiculous. your meal sounds awesome. i've never had deer medallions, but i love the elk medallions at wynkoop. mmm...berry ice cream w/ chocolate souffle.

    ReplyDelete