I have a sort of spring in my step after seeing a more complete picture of election results last night. It looks like the Democrats may get control of the Senate, too. Still too early, but that would be just wonderful! I was quite disappointed to see how many states, including my home state of CO, passed gay marriage bans. I was also extremely disappointed that Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO) won her seat. I don't know how anyone can think that gay marriage is the most important issue we face today when you look around. Is she even aware of the situation in Darfur? Does she have any clue how many Iraqi children have been killed in this war? Does she know that people can't afford even basic medical care in our country? How can two people of the same sex being allowed to get married or have a civil union be the most important issue? It baffles me.
I'm now cleaning away and plan to go grocery shopping later in the day. Things are moving along with party prep and I'm not overly stressed. Always a good thing. I think it helped that I did all the little, easy things yesterday that I normally put off because it seems too early to do them, but then they never happen. Things like printing out cards noting what each dish is so everyone knows what they are eating in case they avoid meat or alcohol and moving in tables for drink and appetizer stations. I am avoiding cleaning the wood floors thoroughly until late tomorrow or early Friday because it's just impossible to keep a really clean floor with the dogs coming in and out when it's raining. Wow. What a dull paragraph. All about cleaning. Alas, you would expect no less from CdT! Onward.
fwiw, before I knew who was R and who was D, I thought the democrat in the race against Musgrave (paccione) came off as 100% incompetent on TV. As you know, I do not pay attention to political ads. But this one stood out like a sore thumb -- no one with any respect for government or leadereship could have reasonably voted for her unless bound to by party loyalty. I did not watch the debate but saw clips on the news and it only furthered my opinion of her. I would guess that's why she didn't win. She is literally the worst candidate in any race, that I have ever seen.
ReplyDeleteok, i take that back. David Duke did win in Louisiana, after all. So I've seen worse than paccione, but not much worse... :)
ReplyDeleteI can't say I know anything Paccione since I did no research on her, but I can say that I know a fair amount about Musgrave since she is the rep. in the district I grew up in. I also watched various clips her speaking on the Internet during this season. I cannot see ever casting a vote for her. That said, that Eidsness got 11% of the vote and was not affiliated with the Rep. or Dems., the Dem could not have been a good candidate to split the anti-Musgrave vote like that.
ReplyDeleteRe: clip of debate on TV news ... I personally don't trust local TV news at all. We watched the *entire* gubernatorial debate here in Oregon and then the next day listened to the "highlights" given on OPB (of which I'm a huge fan), but it was so skewed for the Dem. and didn't even highlight the more key parts of the debate. It was as if the people covering the debate only watched 1 minute and just covered that 1 minute. After that coverage, I really question any sort of clips shown on the news or brief analysis done.
In any case, I guess it goes back to are you willing to vote for someone whose values are at odds with all of your values but might be a more effective leader? Or do you vote for someone who shares your values but is incompetent. For me, I would not want someone with Musgrave's values to be competent leader; therefore, that she does seem to be good at getting her agenda across is reason enough to not vote for her. Her values scare me that much. Someone with no respect for the separation of church and state is not someone I could vote for.
Glad I didn't have to vote in that race! Would have been tough to cast a vote for Paccione (based on your comments) or for Eidsness since that would effectively have been a vote for Musgrave.