Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

Digg

I'm sure my obsession with Digg.com is temporary, as are all of my obsessions, but for now I have scoured the articles and have three links I think you'll all find interesting:
  1. A photoshop contest commemorating the first partial face transplant and shows two celebrities photoshop'd together. Very interesting and goes to show how you can really do anything to a photograph.
  2. Pictures of Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor. I particularly like the ones with fireworks, which is ironic since I don't particularly like fireworks displays.
  3. Finally! Someone in the hoity-toity restaurant community finally notes the absurdity of bottled water and mineral water and what a waste of resources it is. This is a statement from a London Food Critic. He's often on The F-Word (the Gordon Ramsey cooking show on BBCA) and does various pieces that I find quite interesting. Buy a reusable water bottle for daily use, people! Then you don't have to feel guilty for drinking the occasional bottle when necessary.
Poker last night was actually a lot of fun. I was not really in the mood for it, but once we arrived, I was glad I went. I made it to the final table this time and got maybe 6th or 7th (out of 23). Not sure. Fortunately, D got 4th, which was in the money and won $210. We each bought in for $50 plus a $50 add-on each, so we made a cool $10 for 5+ hours of poker playing. Nice. It's an interesting game because while there are some bad players there, some are quite good and many are solid. It's very well run, too, with a laptop clearly displaying the time left in each round and the current blinds and antes. I also like that there is a no waiting for you rule. If you get up to use the restroom and are not back by the time it comes to fold or bet your hand, it gets folded immediately. No apologies, no wondering if we should wait. Efficient and understood. The only thing that drives me crazy is that people don't see the need to rake the chips together after each round of betting and this just causes confusion. D and I were at the same table the whole time, so between the two of us, the folks at the table started to do it.

We didn't get home until 12:30 AM, so I definitely did not envy D getting up for work this morning. I slept in and then got up to feed the dogs, but I suspect that D already fed them this morning because Turtle didn't rush down the stairs for breakfast.

D sent out our Oscar party Evite. There were 30 plus people on the list and that doesn't include spouses. Eek. I thought it would be really cool to do five dishes that represent the five Best Picture nominees, but I'm not sure I'll be creative enough to come up with an associated dish. If anyone has any great suggestions for things I should make, bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. what are the nominees?

    30 people +spouses? I thought you were "DONE!" with these big parties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 30 + spouses, though I'm sure not everyone will come.

    The nominees are not announced yet.

    I always say I'm done with cooking for big parties and then I say, well, maybe one more time. I might have this one catered, though I'm sure I'm cutting the deadline to find a caterer close.

    ReplyDelete