Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Futile

Ah crap. I just saw that iLife '09 has facial recognition software.  You can identify a person in a few pictures, then the software will categorize all pictures of that person using facial recognition.  I thought I would be able to resist iLife'09.  This makes it considerably more challening.  Then I saw they have added more intergration with Facebook.  Resistance is getting harder.  Man.  They've also added changes to iMovie that look very cool.  Resistance is futile.  It's just a question of how long I can hold out now. 

I've realized that, for the most part, Avery has replaced the "milk" sign with the "help" sign when it comes to identifying what she wants.  She first does help; then she waits for me to ask, "What do you need help with?"; then she points or does an additional sign.  It works pretty well.  I asked my mom what people who don't do signing do - how do they know the baby wants water, or milk, or to food? 

Avery is still at two naps a day most days, but can go with just one without much of a problem.  She did the 8 pm - 8 am schedule last night.  I hope we can keep her on that sort of schedule.  It's definitely not set.  She generally sleeps 11.5 - 12 hours a night, but bedtimes vary from 6:30-8, so wake up times vary widely.

Oh, she is now doing the "bath" sign.  Actually, she strung three signs together the other day.  Here was our conversation (signs are in italics):

Avery: help
Me: "What do you want help with?"
Avery: upstairs, bath
Me: "No, it's not bath time yet.  Would you like a cracker?"

Also, she's saying, "No," a lot lately.  I am not sure she entirely understands what it means, though there have been moments where it certainly seemed possible.  Right now, it's completely adorable to hear her repeat the word over and over.  I imagine that it will be less adorable when she screams, "NO!" at me in public while I'm trying to get her to sit down or something like that.

Tonight is date night.  We're going to see Slumdog Millionaire.  We will get there appropriately early so we can actually see the movie this time.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish we had done better with the signing. We can't seem to figure out what this kid wants. So, now we are working on signing a bit more, but have to admit we are very inconsistent!

    ReplyDelete