Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Windy

Another day in Mexico
It's rather windy today.  I'm hoping it eases up a bit so Avery and I can head to the pool this afternoon.  If not, we can just go for a walk, but when it's windy here, it's also kinda dirty.  Nothing too awful, but enough that I'd rather hole up than go for a walk. (Sweet! Since I started this post, the wind had died down quite a bit.)

We found a new arrangement for our living room furniture down here.  We have a lot of furniture for our little living room. There was one particular corner that was a tight squeeze.  It occurred to me that we could switch the direction of the dining room table.  While it makes things a little askew, it is a much better space layout than before.  It makes the room much more functional and usable.  So now the table is not located squarely beneath the dining room light, nor is it square with the art work on the wall.  However, it is much better. 

The newly purchased (and then replaced) water dispenser rocks.  It's amazing what a difference that makes.
Avery
Avery is napping like a rock star down here.  Not necessarily taking longer than normal naps, but she's happy to go down, does so without any prodding, and has no protests at any point.  She's also, thankfully, going down easily at night.  The only snag is that she wakes up around 2 am and cries.  We are alternating nights and one of us heads down to her room and then sleeps in that room with her.  We've been pulling her out of the Pack N Play and letting her sleep in bed with whomever is on duty that night, but we're going to try just going in to sleep in the room with her to see if that helps.  This is the first time we've had her sleep in her own room down here, so I'm thinking she just needs a little help getting used to the room at night.  It doesn't help that she's got a slight cold (runny nose, non-wet cough, no fever, all else normal).

She can get herself out of the PNP, but it's fairly safe since we wedged it between the two beds in her room.  She just climbs up on the bed and then gets down.  We would let her sleep in the bed without us, but she is still prone to falling out of bed and with tile floors and plaster walls, that just seems like a bad idea. 
Entertainment
We are now through the first season of Mad Men. It's good, but I definitely wouldn't rave about it.  I think The Wire is much better. Next, we'll watch season 2 of Mad Men, then get started on Entourage.

Avery has a few things to watch: Finding Nemo, Cars, Peppa Pig, Charlie & Lola, and Monsters, Inc. Thanks to Christie for loaning us the first four of those DVDs!  Right now, her favorite is Peppa Pig, which she requests by asking for "piggy!"  Peppa Pig is adorable for the first few mintues.  Then it's just freakin' annoying.  Fortunately, it's easier to distract Avery away from the TV down here since there are new places to explore.
Keeping Busy
I have now finished labeling all the light switches.  I didn't label our switches in Portland, but most of those switches are somewhat logical.  The switches here are random and sometimes completely illogical. We also discovered what the mysterious switch turns on!  It is an outlet behind the armoire.  In our new living room arrangement, it now turns on the floor lamp that was previously not in use.

I want to put together a Google Map of the various places in town to buy groceries, but for that effort I need the help of a neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment