Pages

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Color

Hues of Color
A fun little activity online to test how well you see color. I scored an 8 (zero is perfect and 99 is presumably completely color blind). You can take the test here.


iPhone
I just thought this was funny.
I saw this picture over on The Consumerist.
Building a Better Teacher
I read this article from the NYT last week and have been thinking about it often.  Whenever I read articles lamenting the state of education in this country, they often address the curriculum or the lack of money or increasing test scores.  I have not once seen an article talking about the need to create better teachers.  This article is fascinating.  In fact, while I have no desire to be a teacher (things I would really dislike: teaching, teaching, and um, oh yeah, teaching), I am going to buy the book describing the effective teaching techniques.  Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College hasn't been released yet according to Amazon.
VBAC
Shockingly, I have little interest in birthing choices (gee, I wonder why?)  The only thing I do know is that I would never opt for a home birth.  Other than that, I haven't paid much attention to the debate.  For those readers outside the Pacific Northwest, home birthing is quite common here.  It's common enough that, as someone who has no experience in giving birth and rarely discusses it with those who have, I know it's a discussion point in these here parts.

So, all that stated above, Lessons at Indian Hospitals About Births is an interesting article.  The VBAC rate and the benefits of how this particular hospital, run by the Navajo Nation, uses midwives in the birthing process are particularly interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I got a 34, which doesn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Well, darn, Megan. You beat me again! My score was 12. Fun! Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I got an 8, too, my Portland twin

    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/mom2reese2/color.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you wouldn't opt for a home birth. Other than that I'm staying out of the discussion :)

    ReplyDelete