Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

School

School
Avery's first day of school was awesome!  D came home a bit early so he could go pick her up with me (which thrilled me more than Avery, I think!)  Her class was outside playing when we arrived.  The teacher said that Avery did amazingly well and there were no issues at all.  The teacher said (with a bit of surprise) that Avery told her that she wanted her hairbands out before her nap, so I'm glad to know that Avery communicates what she wants/needs even in new situations. Avery took a 1.5 hour nap as usual and didn't have any trouble going to sleep or napping in room with other kids.  That was the only thing I was hesitant about since when we tried to have Elise sleep in the same room, Avery spent the whole time pointing and saying, "There's Friend Elise!"

Apparently, all the kids were swarming around Avery all day.  I expect this is standard whenever a new kids joins the class, but it made me happy nonetheless. 

As we drove away, Avery started chattering about her day.  According to Avery, they did some jumping and running, and someone pushed someone onto their backside.  We're not sure if Avery was the pusher or the pushee, but we do know based on her chatter that backsides and pushing were involved.  I'm curious about it, so I'll ask the teacher when I pick her up this afternoon.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home, where Avery got to push the "Customer in Training" cart they have for kids.  I was so happy to see her that I was walking around the store with this ridiculous grin on my face.  I guess she seemed so grown up in that moment: her first day of school (even if it was "school"); pushing the cart around the grocery store; asking questions about her surroundings; saying, "Thank you, Daddy," when he put something in the cart; apologizing to someone when he was trying to get by and she was in the middle of the aisle.

As we were driving to school this morning, Avery enthusiastically said, "There's my school!" as we drove by the building (we kind of have to circle it before we can pull into the drop-off / pick-up area.)
Vocabulary
For the past few weeks (maybe more?) Avery has been obsessed with pointing out when someone has or is doing something, then pointing out who doesn't have it or isn't doing it.  For example, if she's drinking water she'll say, "Avery drinking water.  Mommy not drinking water. Daddy not drinking water.  Turtle Girlie not drinking water. Eddie not drinking water."  She does this all.the.time.  All day.  I just repeat back to her what she's said, correcting grammar or using full sentences when necessary. 

Another step forward in her vocabulary was demonstrated on the way home yesterday.  I had put up the sun shade on her side of the car several days ago when it was sunny.  It was gray yesterday, so she said, "It's not too bright.  Don't need," while pointing to the sun shade.  
My First Day Off
I, shockingly, didn't nap.  In fact, I only spent maybe a total of 1.5 hours on the computer (very little for me) and then spent the rest of the time cleaning, cooking, and taking care of things in the house.  Among those things, I packed up all of the clothes Avery has outgrown and put them in our foyer.  The couple who clean our house occasionally had a little girl recently (I blogged about it here) and I figured they might need some hand-me-downs:


Those boxes are all packed completely full.  I didn't realize Avery had quite so many clothes.  
Design
We met with the designer last night regarding our house color and potential changes to the exterior.  He had some good ideas.  In a week or so, his company will provide us with a rendering of our house showing changes they think will make a difference.  He said they break out the cost of each item, so we can pick and choose what we want to go with.  I'm expecting a big price tag, so the changes will probably be somewhat minimal in addition to the paint color change, but it's fun to think about what we'd like to see change. 
Today
Now I'm heading up to take a nap.  Because I didn't yesterday.  And isn't that what one should do to celebrate newly obtained free time?  I am heading in to volunteer at 1 pm.  Other than that, not a lot of on the agenda for today. And that's just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment