Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Skin

Oil Cleansing Method
So a couple of months ago, I saw a post on the EnviroMom blog (one that I skim versus read religiously) that referenced the Simple Mom blog.  Since I had just started reading Simple Mom, it caught my eye.  It was a post about how she started using the oil cleansing method as recommended on Simple Mom and it was working for her.  I figured since it was cheap and easy, I'd give it a whirl even though covering my face in oil on a daily basis flew in the face of all the advice I'd ever read.

Prior to this, I'd basically given up on clearing up my cystic acne. I had tried everything, from expensive facials every six weeks to buying all the insanely expensive facial products to antibiotics and other prescriptions from a dermatologist. 

After about two months, I can say conclusively that the oil cleansing method is the single best thing I've ever done for my skin. It has completely cleared up my cystic acne and it did so almost immediately.  I still get the occasional zit, and my chin is scarred from well over a decade of near-constant painful cystic breakouts, but it works.  And it makes my skin feel great every night before bed as an added bonus.  So what I use on my face now is: castor oil/olive oil mixture, Cetaphil lotion because it works, and that is it!  If anyone is going to try it, I basically follow what is in the post on Simple Mom.  The warm wash cloth step at the end seems to be crucial for me.  I do it once a day every evening, but sometimes I'll do it in the morning too just for the heck of it. 

I can't believe it took me this long to find the cure (for me - I'm sure it works in varying degrees on different people).  I also cannot believe that no dermatologist or aesthetician ever mentioned anything about it.  I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that castor oil and olive oil don't do anything to help out their livelihoods. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I read through the article because I was just about to ask how you could handle going to bed with oil all over your face. Very interesting--I can't say I would have ever believed this would work without your personal approval!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting- I am going to try it. I also read her blog about going without shampoo--I had read something recently and have been only shampooing every other day. I am going to try the baking soda--it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria has done the no-shampoo thing. My understanding is that you have to do all or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am intrigued and excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating. I totally want to give this a try along with the no-shampoo thing. My skin is definitely not what it used to be, that's for sure. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have washed my face twice with the oil mixture and my skin feels great. The real test, though, is to do it for a few months to see how it reacts during various parts of the month (if you catch my drift). Also, draping the hot washcloth over my face feels awesome. It's like an instant de-stressor.

    ReplyDelete