Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Annoyed

Not Great
Today has not been so great.  Nothing major.  I am just feeling very annoyed with things that shouldn't be getting under my skin.  Example: a fellow Loreto Bay homeowner - whom I've never met, emailed, or spoken to - friended me on Facebook a while back because I'm the administrator of a group on FB of Loreto Bay homeowners.  I accepted and dumped her into my "lesser view" category.  However, I keep getting invites from her to become a fan of her FB page.  She's a Realtor in San Diego.  Why would I become a fan of a business I've never used? In another state? Yeah, not going to happen.  I just unfriended her due to annoyance.

I took the dogs for a walk and it started raining half way through.  Do you think I brought a coat or anything?  No.  Of course not.  That would be too smart. 
Date Nights
Elise and Nolan will arrive in an hour or so for the G's date night.

Last night was our date night.  We went to see Kick Ass.  It was a good movie that I enjoyed, but it was shockingly violent. I don't really mind violence in movies, but wasn't mentally prepared for this movie to have that much violence.  The movie could have so easily turned out to be dreadful for any number of reasons.  I think good directing and good casting are largely responsible for its success. 
Farmers Market
I went to the Portland Farmers Market this morning while D took Avery to the gym with him.  I don't belong at these places.  I love the concept, but not so much the actual being there.  Too many people.  I can't enjoy myself with so many people around me when I'm actually trying to look for things.  If I were just there to go to a specific stall (that I knew of in advance and I knew exactly what I planned to get), I would be fine, but the browsing is not for me.  I also didn't have much of a plan, so I came home with perhaps the most ridiculous assortment of items ever: 
  • enough new potatoes for one meal
  • one bunch of flowers
  • one serving of frozen buffalo meat
  • three red onions
  • four stalks of rhubarb
  • one bag of bagels 
Seriously?  I look at it typed out and it's even dumber than when I looked in my bag.  Gah.

I went because I had a goal of buying more vegetables at farmers markets this year.  I think what I will do is wait for the Hillsdale Market to get in full swing for the summer and then tag along with RHG when she goes and have her show me all the places she's already determined to be best for produce.  RHG, I'm inviting myself along for a future visit.  If that doesn't result in me not finding it to be a miserable experience, then I shall just have to admit I'm someone who wants to like the farmers market, but will never be the person who does.
Mad Men & other TV
D and I watched the third season of Mad Men over the past couple of weeks.  It took me a while to warm up to the show, mostly because the men are total pigs, but now I can't wait for season four. 

D and I TiVo'd the first episode of Treme on HBO.  It's done by the same people who did The Wire, one of my all-time favorite shows, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.  However, what I didn't realize was how much I need subtitles for these shows.  We used the subtitles all through The Wire and Mad MenRescue Me's lame DVD's didn't have subtitles.  I don't catch half of what is said otherwise.  Part of it is the dialect, but I think a lot is that my hearing must be damaged enough that background noise makes it difficult to hear what's being said.  It's an argument for surround sound, but I don't care enough about surround sound to spend the money on it, so we'll have to figure something else out.  I would suggest that HBO is stupid for not airing episodes with subtitles in a few middle of the night time-slots, but I am pretty sure D and I are of a select few who use subtitles on shows already in English.

3 comments:

  1. We use subtitles for shows like that! I turn on "closed captioning" on the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Portland this weekend AND at the Farmer's Market. I totally should have called you and helped you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Darren - I thought about closed captioning a while ago, but never tried it because I figured we have to turn it on before we TiVo'd the show, then shut it off if we didn't want other shows to TiVo with it. I don't know why I just didn't try it. We learned last night that any show we've TiVo'd has that information on it and we just have to turn it on for that show. Woohoo! It's not as good as subtitles, but it's certainly good enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete