Avery's New Cupboard
One blessing of being someone who constantly feels the need to reorganize the kitchen is that I don't hesitate to move things around to accommodate Avery's new skills. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I realized that Avery is more than capable of setting her own place at the table. As such, I cleared out one of my lower cabinets and put her cups, silverware, plates, bowls, some napkins, and some tissues in it (the tissues just being there so they are some place she can reach them, not because we set the table with tissues.)Hike
When we got home from school yesterday, I explained to Avery that she had a new cupboard and that now she could get her own utensils, etc. She was so excited and raced back and forth between the cupboard and the table to put each thing needed for dinner in its spot on the table. We did the same thing again for breakfast and then again for dinner tonight. I also am asking her to get her own sippy cup with lid for milk requests.
Tonight's table-setting-chore was more successful than last night. At one point, I told her to get her knife, fork, spoon, and napkin. I assumed I'd need to repeat the list several times until she got all items, however, there she was with each of the items I listed.
Today, we went on a hike with Henry and Christie. I managed to convince Avery to wear something other than the same dress she wore to school all three days this week. Her favorite dress ("I want to wear the pretty dress, Mommy!") is a hand-me-down from Alexandra. I emailed Sara to tell her the dress was getting good use. Sara said that was also Alexandra's favorite dress.Mid-morning Megan Screws Over Morning Megan
Following the hike, we grabbed some lunch, then hit the Hanna Andersson outlet. Avery scored many a plain white t-shirt and some very cute shorts and skirts.
A couple of weeks ago, Morning Megan shook off her stupor and started to feel human, thereby transforming herself into Mid-morning Megan. Then Mid-morning Megan turned around betrayed Morning Megan in a way still unfathomable to any Megan other than Mid-morning Megan: she told D that she decided it would be more fair for Morning Megan to get up both weekend mornings with Avery rather than just on Sundays. D and I have taken turns sleeping in on the weekends since Avery joined our family.
The logic behind the decision: with Avery being in school two days per week, I now have about 16 hours per week without Avery. Of those 16 hours, I spend about half doing housework, errands, other things that are harder to get done when Avery is around. The other half I spend piddling, napping, watching TV, swearing really loudly, running with scissors in the house since no one is there to witness the act and copy it, etc. So, given that situation, it seemed wrong for me to still take a weekend morning to sleep in. I should have explained that if Avery ever switches to go to school only a few hours in the morning vs going all day, then the deal is off. Ah well, D, here's your official notice: this deal is in play as long as the current situation remains. When it changes, we renegotiate. Doesn't everyone use their blog to communicate these things with their spouses?
No comments:
Post a Comment