Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Shock

New Health Insurance
So, I shouldn't be shocked by this, but once again, I'm having to call about each claim.  Since I didn't have our new insurance card when Avery went to the doctor last, I had to pay the full amount for three prescriptions.  When I got our card, I contacted the insurance company to find out how to go about getting reimbursed.  I followed those procedures.  I paid $102.97 out of pocket and expected to get back $72.67.  I got a check for $15.46.

I called the insurance company to inquire.  Guess what?  It appears these claims weren't processed correctly. 

I dare any of you to tell me this isn't deliberate.  Does this not happen to anyone else?  How can it be that we're the only ones who never seem to get full coverage from our health insurance until we ask about it?  It's not possible.

They need to research and will call me back.  Single payer, single payer, single payer.  

Note: I actually wrote myself a note before calling them that said, "Remain calm ... it is what it is." It worked for the most part since I remained calm.

2 comments:

  1. We've had similar experiences with 2 different dentists (not the insurance co. but the dentist office itself). It's beyond frustrating to have to double check every single time you're billed for something. Makes me wonder about our medical billings, although (I hate to tell you this!) we very rarely ever have to pay more than our co-pay. So sorry you're still/again having to deal with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For just a usual office visit, I rarely have issues. However, if labs are ordered, that almost always results in overbilling. Going to the urgent care or ER does, as well. And doing anything out of the ordinary, like submitting prescriptions after they've been paid for, seems to also cause underpayment by the insurance companies.

    I am rather dreading future medical needs because our new insurance isn't as good as our old insurance, which is well documented to have been a huge pain in the ass. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete