"Hold my hair, Daddy!"
Yesterday, Avery needed to vomit, so she went to the bathroom. When she got in there, D and I heard her yell, "Hold my hair, Daddy!"
Through the night
As predicted, it was a restless night. Avery would wake up to vomit or dry heave every couple of hours. Since D had an early flight out, I left him in our room about midnight and Avery and I went into the guest room to sleep. We first tried sleeping in her room. That didn't work because the stupid smoke alarm light is pointed directly at her bed. It's so bright. I have vowed to do something about that. I have no idea how she's been sleeping in that bed so far. It's like this beacon in your eyes. Awful.
After checking with RHG last night to see if this is what they've done in similar circumstances, I kept giving Avery small amounts of water through the night even though she would vomit it up. The doctor's office said this morning that was the right thing to do. Before I called the doctor, Avery was insistent that I give her peanut butter. I thought it would be too rich, but figured maybe she knows what she needs, so I gave it to her. Shockingly, while she wasn't keeping water or crackers down, she has kept the peanut butter down. The nurse was very surprised and kept asking me again, "And she kept peanut butter down this morning?" Then she asked whether Avery had peed this morning. I said, no, but she went around 10ish last night, so based on the time of that pee session, it wouldn't be unusual for her not to go until 10 or 11 this morning. That also surprised her. Avery finally went potty about 15 minutes ago which is pretty much on schedule for her.
Speaking of pee, last night was the first time we've had a potty accident in her bed. She peed right after she'd gotten down to throw up in the aluminum roasting pan, so I think everything was just coming at her super fast. Anyway, it was also the first time I realized we have only one set of sheets for her bed. I think I meant to buy her two different sets of sheets and then got distracted.
Avery still has no fever. Well, I don't think she has a fever. We bought one of those fancy thermometers like Amber and RHG have. Ours sucks. Same brand, but I can't get it to work to save my life. It worked when it arrived, but I have tried numerous times on myself and on Avery to no avail. She definitely doesn't have a high fever, and I would be surprised if it was more than 99°, so I'm not worried we don't have an exact number. Right now, she's watching Cars. She's a bit more whiny than usual, but I would still put her in the category of Massive Trooper for someone who has just been through the night she's had. Seriously, I'd be a wreck right now if I were her. In fact, I was a wreck this morning just due to lack of sleep. I was not meant to do without sleep. Other people must be better designed for lack of sleep. Or they just whine less ... I'm sticking with them being better designed.
We came downstairs with D when he left around 5:30 this morning. Avery and I decided to sleep on the chair in the living room. She slept with me for a while, then eventually she got off the chair and just slept on the floor. At least I was able to sleep until 8:30 or so. It makes this morning more bearable.
It's now 10:15 and I don't think she's vomited since about 9:00. Not too shabby folks! Maybe she's through the worst of it. Fingers crossed.
I guess I never told you -- I hate our thermometer. I can't get a consistent temperature from it to save my life.
ReplyDeleteNo, but I also don't think I asked. I think I only knew you had it because Amber said you also had the same one when I asked her what brand she had. I can't get a reading out of it period let alone an inconsistent one.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness. Poor thing. Let us know if we can do anything besides send over healthy, non-vomit inducing vibes.
ReplyDeleteAn Air Force medic I knew gave me this remedy for an upset stomach: eat burnt toast and drink some coke.
ReplyDelete