Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Story

Ladybug
Yesterday, I tried reading my Kindle while Avery read books.  I sat on the chair and she sat on the couch.  It was very sweet.  After about five minutes of reading together, yet separately, Avery looked up and started to tell me a story about school.  It was fascinating to listen to her string her vocabulary and the sequence of events together to get out what she wanted to tell me.
  • Avery said, "Teacher Theresa put ladybug on her finger to show."  
  • Then she paused and looked down.  "Grant.  Grant squashed ladybug."  
  • I said, "Awww."  
  • She then said, "That not nice!"  Another pause, "Avery no squash ladybug." 
I'm quite curious to ask Teacher Theresa about this to see how accurate the story is and, in fact, whether it happened at all.  Teacher Theresa was surprised to hear that Avery said, "Just like Teacher Theresa!" when eating her green beans, but Avery definitely has a green bean association with TT since she repeated it again when we had green beans again the other night. 
Three Cups of Tea
On Tuesday night, I downloaded two books by/about Greg Mortenson: Three Cups of Tea and Stones Into Schools.  I'm 50% of the way through Three Cups of Tea and love it.  I'm happy reading it because I know I still have Stones Into Schools to go.  Typically, I start to get sad at the halfway point of a good book because I find it so difficult to find books I really enjoy reading, yet when I do find a book I enjoy, I like reading more than most any activity, TV and computer included.  
Avery & Illness
Avery is doing much better and seems fully recovered.  However, there are some lingering things that make me wonder.  For example, yesterday she threw up a massive amount right before D got home.  And in perfect timing, D arrived about two minutes after I finished cleaning it all up.  Well played, honey.  In any case, then she sat down and ate a fair amount of dinner. 

This morning, absent any fever or coughing and looking really well, she has asked me to hold her hair twice, then stared over the toilet obviously feeling unwell.  Now, just fifteen minutes later, she's totally fine.  Strange. 
Lovely Pattern
I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but it's really solidified into a lovely pattern.  D gets up earlier than me on most weekdays.  Avery has either joined us in bed (she comes in around 6 ish most mornings it seems), or she wakes up when she hears him get up and then joins us.  D gets her some milk.  He gets ready and leaves for work.  Avery and I then sleep until anywhere from 7:45 to 9:00.  It rocks.  I sometimes wonder if giving her milk to get a bit more sleep out of her is wrong.  Then, after thinking about it for a while, I decide what could be wrong with helping your child get plenty of sleep. That's the stance I'm taking, right or wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same pattern right now in my illness. I will feel just fine for a stretch and then I feel bad again. Elise, otoh, seems to be fully recovered. She does complain about her tummy hurting some (but I think that's fake complaining).

    ReplyDelete