Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Crack

Mexico
Um, yeah, so we're going to Mexico soon.  I haven't packed a thing, nor have I given all that much thought to it (other than, "Crap, D's not going." and "I should get a notarized letter from D," which I did.)  It's like I'm in some sort of denial about something fun happening.  Odd. 
Books & Kindle
I finished The Help yesterday afternoon.  I really enjoyed that book.  I started the sample of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that I downloaded, but so far, it's not catching my interest.  I'm not a mystery/murder book fan.  I'll finish up the sample, but based on the way I devoured the last three books, I have to remember that if I don't devour a book, odds are good that I 1. won't finish it and 2. will stop reading all together.  That's the way I work, like it or not.

My Kindle now has a small hairline crack in it due to the cover.  After doing research, I found out it happens when you open the Kindle from the back rather than the front.  Why they would design a cover (and Amazon designed this cover for their book) that causes damage to the Kindle when you open it the wrong way is beyond me.  Even more beyond me is why they didn't do something to prevent this from happening, and why they didn't email those who bought the cover to notify them of the problem.  After I did some research online, it's been a common problem with these covers.  Amazon apparently is replacing Kindles with cracked screens, but I'm not sure about just the cracked cover.  I don't care about the crack from an aesthetic stand point - it's barely noticeable now that the cover has been removed - but I do care if it means it's lessened the life of my Kindle. I am also annoyed that the offending cover cost about $30. I've emailed Amazon to see about replacing the Kindle.  We'll work on the cover when they, presumably, reject that request.

Cute: Avery often asks me, "You reading your Kindle?"  I don't know why I find that so cute, but I do.
School
When I called about Avery's school fee going down when she reaches 2.5yo, only to discover it wouldn't since she is in a class with kids younger than her, I pushed only a very small amount on it.  I didn't have the energy to deal with it and realized I didn't mind paying the extra money if it meant she was with Teacher Theresa.  However, they called back the other day (which I didn't request) and said they can move her into Teacher Mary's class in June.  That means she'll be in the same class as Lily and her rate will go down.  I'm happy about those, but am having a lot of trouble thinking of her not being in Teacher Theresa's class.  My guess is she will barely notice after the first day.  Man, if I take each teacher change this hard, the next 16 years are going to be rough!  It's not like she won't see TT when she's outside. 
Helmet
The last couple of days, Avery has worn her helmet in the house a majority of the time.  This morning, she brought it to me at 6:15 to put on her head.  I did so and then told her to play in her room.  I went back to sleep and she, apparently, played in her room until about 7 ish.  She asked to wear the helmet to school, but I didn't let her. 
Hairbands
Avery has gotten better about letting me comb her hair, so the dreaded haircut may be avoided.  So far, Nikki, Grandma J, and D all want me to leave her hair as it is.  So do I, but I'm only doing it if she allows me to comb it without a massive battle everyday.  What has been working lately is asking her which color hairbands she wants to put in. She looks down at her shirt, then picks colors that match it.  Today, she picked pink and orange after realizing she was wearing a pink and orange skirt. 
Dread
Today is my appointment with the (new) PMHNP.  There are few things I like less than going to someone to talk about this stuff.  I dread going.  Just think of the happy pills, just think of the happy pills ...

3 comments:

  1. To the Mexico!

    I was going to order The Girl ... Tattoo but then I noticed that it's part of a trilogy and it's a mystery of sorts and, well, that isn't typically my thing so I think I'll wait to get it through the library even though there are currently 690+ who are going to get their hands on one of the 30 copies that are out there before I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should tell Avery that F has to sit for 90+ minutes on hair days. It's never too early for a little peer pressure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heather - 90 minutes! It never occurred to me it would take that long. Not once. It seriously takes me about five minutes of negotiation and prodding to get her to let me run a comb through her hair for a mere 30 seconds. I cannot imagine what I would have to do to get her to sit and allow me to do ANYTHING to her hair for 90 minutes.

    ReplyDelete