Coronado Island
We booked a trip out to the white sand beach on Coronado Island after our property manager mentioned she has a friend who is a boat man. The main source of anxiety for this particular adventure was simply finding the correct place to pay and locating Ernesto, our boat man. After those small tasks were accomplished, I was able to sit back and enjoy the trip.
Avery loved the boat, but really wanted to get off my lap and walk around. Um, hell no! I explained to her that I had to hold her the whole time. She said, "But Nain is standing up." I explained that Nain was a grownup and she was allowed to do that.
It was very cool to see the sea lions barking in their natural habitat, rather than cooped up in the zoo. We also saw lots of dolphins. Unlike in the US, where I think there are laws about boats chasing the dolphins, headed straight towards them a number of times so we could see the pod all around us. Not to worry: no dolphins were hurt by our boat, but I remember being very concerned the first time we were in Mexico and our boat man did this. I guess the dolphins are smart enough to get out of the way. At least, I hope this is always the case.
Once at the white sand beach, Avery and Henry had a great time running around. When we got there, we were the only people on the beach. We found some shark vertebrae and sea shells, buried our legs in the sand, and wandered further into the sea. Avery even swam on her own in the sea, though I was never far from her. The sea was very calm, as is typical for this area. In the past, I've been scared to go out into the sea, but with Avery I have no issues. I guess I'm so focused on her that I forget about my irrational fears and just focus on her enjoyment.
The boat trip back to Loreto from the island was a bit rougher than the trip to the island, but it was still very calm relative to Hawaii (which is, I think, the only other place I've been on a boat in open water). Avery was asleep in my arms within about 30 seconds.
Chef Felipe
The chef also came last night. He came on Mexican time, aka over an hour late, so that threw a wrench into bedtime routine for the kiddos. The meal was delicious, though the salad was a bit vinegary for my tastes. The dessert also had vodka in it, with my permission, and I confirmed that I cannot eat/drink a dessert with alcohol in it.
Crocs
I put my Crocs in the sun to dry and they shrunk by at least a size, if not a size and a half. Bummer. I'm glad I learned the lesson on my own Crocs rather than Avery's.
Sandwich
I must have the only child in the world who eats the crust of the sandwich, but not the middle. I rarely make Avery sandwiches, so I've not observed this behavior before, but Avery ate the crust off her PB&J sandwich at the beach yesterday, but wouldn't eat the middle. Odd.
No comments:
Post a Comment