Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Market

Market Day
Today we hit the farmers market in the morning.  We didn't arrive until 10:30 or so.  In the past, I've gotten there about 9.  I'm not sure if the market vendors have widened the path or if arriving later meant fewer people milling about.  Either way, it was easier for me to handle than in the past.  We walked the length of the market with the kids running, stopping to dance to music, and generally enjoying themselves while we adults looked around.  Christie took many pictures, which I'm looking forward to viewing.  We also bought a fair amount of produce, mostly fruits.  There seemed a greater quantity and variety of nice looking produce this time around, even compared to the typically better-stocked winter months.

Following the market, we stopped at a few grocery stores and the tortilliaria.  I got to watch them making fresh tortillas as I waited for them to bundle my two kilos of flour tortillas hot off the stoves.  All five of us enjoyed the purchase on the drive home.

Avery had a difficult time getting to sleep for her nap this afternoon, but 50 minutes after we first started, she finally fell asleep.  Once she, then Henry, woke up, we watched a bit of TV and read, then headed off to the pool.  This was the first time we've hit the pool in the hot afternoon.  The walk there was hot, but the pool felt wonderful and I think I preferred the afternoon visit to a morning one.

Avery insisted on swimming without her swim vest for a period of time.  She is nothing if not bold in the water.  She has no issue with sinking and letting herself go completely under.  I'm always right there with her, but I do let her head dunk so she remembers she's not wearing the vest.  Eventually I put it back on her and she proceeded with swimming anywhere in the pool she desired.  At one point, a few early 20's people joined us at the normally sparsely populated pool.  Avery watched with fascination as the two men play ball in the pool.

Avery also decided to jump into the pool when she saw Christie do it.  Henry, normally the physically-bold one of the Avery and Henry pair, is a bit hesitant in the water.  Christie brilliantly thought that since Henry enjoys jumping so much, perhaps he'd want to jump into the pool, so she demonstrated for him.  That worked in immediately getting Avery to jump into the pool.  It took Henry about 30 minutes or so longer to try it, but once he did, he was all over it.  By the end of the evening, both kids were jumping in.  Avery, I think, needs to learn to push off the side a bit more with her feet.  While she doesn't need me to encourage her to jump and does that on her own, once she was airborne, I needed to pull her to me a bit so she wouldn't hit the side.

Christie cooked chicken fajitas for dinner once we were all back and showered off. Delicious. 
Toddlers
I must say that having Christie and Henry here this first week has been perfect.  Yes, the toddlers bicker about every little thing, but relatively speaking, they're sharing quite well with each other.  All in all, it's much easier having a friend here with Avery (not to mention Christie being here to keep Mom and I entertained and fed!)  It would be the perfect weekend getaway if only there were direct flights here. 

Having Mom here is also so very helpful.  I get to sleep in every morning (which means until about 8:30 or so).  And, even better, Mom likes the beach!  I don't like the beach.  Avery loves the beach.  Perfect!  Mom takes Avery to the beach.  I've gone twice - once just for a walk and once with the intent to play in the sand - and I'll go a few more times, but I like to think that'll be special Nain/Avery time. 
Temperature
It does get mighty toasty here during the noon-three time period.  However, we can go a bulk of the day with no AC.  Right now, it's 11 pm, I have the doors and windows open and the fan going. I'm in shorts and a t-shirt and the temperature is just right.  Nearing chilly.  But nice. 

I'm curious as to what it's really like in the July/August months.  One of these years, I'll come down just to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment