Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Slavery

Today
I'll leave in just a bit to pick Avery up from school.  Her two days went by fast this week.  It was a challenge to get her out of the house this morning because I felt physically awful, but we made it.  Then I came home and finished my latest book (see book section).  I also took the dogs for a walk and did not a whole lot else.  
NYC
It looks like we're heading to NYC in April over Easter to meet up with D's dad and his partner, Rosie.  I haven't been back to NYC since my first visit there in 2001, just a couple of months before Sept 11.  D's family will fly over to NY, then head back to England on a cruise ship.  Neither Dag nor Rosie like to fly, so we're happy they're making the trip despite having to take a flight to the US.  
Books
I just finished Slave: My True Story.  Clearly, any book about slavery isn't going to be a pleasant read, but for whatever reason, I'm drawn to books with harrowing tales of survival in tough conditions.  It was well written and gives an understanding as to how slavery can continue to happen, and thrive, in today's world.  I did a bit of research. According to many sources, there are 27 million slaves worldwide today, more than at any point in history.

I'm not sure what book I'll read next. I have realized why the Kindle keeps me reading: I don't have a significant pause between books.  I never have to think ahead as to when I'll finish a book and need to get another because I can search for and download a book from anywhere (including pool side in Mexico, tyvm).  That ability means that I'm always prepared to start a new book, which is apparently key for me to keep reading. 

3 comments:

  1. I just downloaded "Cutting for Stone" on the recommendation of my friend. It is fiction based on the author's own life. I think it is medically oriented so might not interest you, but since you liked the other one I thought I'd pass on the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that book while I was in Mexico and just couldn't get into it. Does the tone/pace of the book change much after the first few chapters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest reading about present day quasi slavery at Guantanamo Bay: Five Years of My Life: An Innocent Man in Guantanamo by Murat Kurnaz and Patti Smith (Paperback - Aug. 4, 2009)

    ReplyDelete