Camping at the zoo
The camperoo at the zoo on Saturday was fun, but not quite as much fun as I was expecting. It's not that anything went wrong or was difficult as much as it didn't live up to my expectations. That said, I would definitely consider doing it again. Avery and Henry seemed to have a great time. While Avery was eager to go to bed, getting to sleep was a different story. She was bouncing off the walls of the tent for a good hour before finally settling in for sleep. She also insisted on taking her jammies off and sleeping in the buff, which meant that both D and I were waking up and covering her with a blanket throughout the night (she also refused the sleeping bag). I don't think she was actually cold, but we were apparently both worried she was since we were waking and covering not knowing the other was doing the same.
We did a tour of the commissary on Saturday evening. They showed us what vegetables look like (I guess as an educational opportunity for the kids?) and went inside the freezer and refrigerator where all the food is stored. We did learn that the most expensive animals to feed are the sea lions since they eat restaurant-grade sea food six times per day. Elephants, while they eat a lot, are not overly expensive to feed because they eat a lot of hay and vegetables.
Sunday morning we did the elephants tour. This was a let down for me because they didn't give us much information on elephants. We went into the yard where the elephants normally hang out during the day. They had the kids hide pieces of fruit and veggies all over the place, then we went above to watch the elephants find all the food. I love elephants, so I could watch for hours, but overall a bit of a let down.
Sunday
Of course, as a result of subpar sleep on Saturday night, I napped right on through the day on Sunday. Avery also took a long nap, so that was convenient. In the evening, we loaded up Conan and Rachele's car and drove them over to her house. The G's borrowed my Sweet Ride to drive to Bend, so we figured we'd drive over, get some dinner out, then exchange the cars back. It worked out quite well.
You'd think that since I napped all day on Sunday, that I'd have some trouble getting to sleep on Sunday night. You'd be wrong. I slept all night and woke up somewhat refreshed this morning. What a nice change! I'm about to take the dogs for a walk, then get started on cleaning the house and taking care of a few errands.
Doctor
I have decided to go see a naturopathic doctor to see if he can do anything about the fact I'm always tired. I've intended to do this for years, but just never put it as a priority. That appointment is next week.
Garage
After morning after morning of waking up to poop accidents since Eddie didn't make it through the night, I've moved the dogs into the garage to sleep at night. It's not as bad as it sounds since, for whatever reason, our garage doesn't get very hot when it's hot. It also doesn't get all that cold when it's cold, though I'll just let them sleep inside if it seems too cold or too hot. As such, I'm going to buy Eddie another dog crate so he has one inside and one outside. He loves his crates, so I figure it's the least we can do to make the last months/years of his life comfortable. I'm debating whether a bed for inside during the day would be sufficient.
Rubicon
There's a new show on AMC - the network that airs Mad Men - called Rubicon. Two episodes have aired so far and I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to the next episode. If you have AMC, I recommend TiVoing/DVRing/watching it.
Yeah, it was fun but oddly not very zooish in nature. I would have preferred more time to just run around the zoo but they closed that off pretty early. Sea lions? I thought it was the otters. The food part was cool - seeing the boards broken down with all of the various ingredients listed in pounds. There is a lot of food in that place. And a lot of beer, too. Alas we received none of the latter.
ReplyDeleteCamping with no beer?! I can't even imagine. ;) Sorry to hear it was a bit of a letdown... at least it doesn't sound like the kids felt that way. ?
ReplyDelete