Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sick

Damn it! I'm sick!
I woke up in the middle of the night, swallowed, then realized it wasn't going to be good in the morning. Yep, I have a sore throat. I'm achy.  I have a headache.  At first, I figured I was just going to have to plop Avery in front of the TV.  Then I realized I could call her school and see if they have room for her today.  We have to pay for an additional day, but given how awful I feel, it's worth it.  Thankfully, Avery was totally up for a day of school.  I didn't even try to convince her that wearing a dress with a skirt underneath isn't the best look - I just put on some sneakers and let her go in that.

You'd think that since I have a day off from parenting and that I'm sick and that I love to sleep, that I'd be napping now.  Apparently, my constant need/desire to nap is subsiding (could the acupuncture be working?!)  I went upstairs and tried to fall asleep, but realized I couldn't, so I decided to at least make good use of my time and organize pictures on my computer.
Avery's favorite person in the whole wide world
When I got home from Yummy Group last night, it was clear that the evening wasn't relaxing for D.  Avery had fallen asleep at 6:50 on the chair downstairs before I left, so I didn't say goodbye.  She apparently woke up at 9 and had been crying on and off for 1.5 hours to see me.   Anyway, I was exhausted and I didn't want to do battle with the sleep in your bed, or sleep in our bed when I knew D was so tired, so I scooped up Avery and we headed into the guest bedroom (I love to sleep in the guest bedroom - I sleep sooooooo well).  Anyway, Avery settled down quickly enough.  As we were laying there not talking and both drowsy and about to fall asleep, Avery sits up and says to me, "Mommy, Aunt Chele is my favorite person in the whole wide world."  I said, "Including me?"  And she said, "Yes."  There you have it, folks.
Yummy Group - Ten 01
When I got the menu at the restaurant, I was not overly happy with the choices.  You know how something on a menu often jumps out and sounds delicious?  Well, that didn't happen, so I ordered the sturgeon and hoped for the best.  Well damned if it wasn't delicious!  I was most pleased.  I just tried to find the description of it on their online menu, but it's not there.  It must have just been on it yesterday or something.  It came with grilled watermelon, corn, and pickled shallots.  Sounds weird, tastes delicious.  Perfection.

Dessert was the same thing.  Nothing much appealed to me, but I persevered and ordered the Zeppoli: ricotta beignets with orange custard. It was perfect!  Just my kind of dessert: no alcohol and nice and tasty without being too rich.

While the food was excellent, the conversation was even better.  Being able to get unbloggable things off my chest with friends is invaluable. 
Landscaping
They are currently putting in our new landscaping.  The trees are looking great.  I'm so happy we moved the tree that was located too close to the house.  It's now in the middle of the yard in front of the window to my office.  In a few years, it'll give me a ton of privacy, you know, for the very important tasks I do in my office like blogging and Facebooking.

I'm also so happy to see they chose to put a lot of heather plants in.  I love heather.  We didn't specify a whole lot in terms of what we wanted for plants.  I described things I like and things I don't.  I asked them to remove the weird evergreen tree and put in something else.  I asked them to move our Japanese Maple to a better location.  Other than that, I just trusted they know more about this stuff than us and let them go to town.  I think I'm going to be very happy. Plus, the guy whose doing it is so very nice.  While things haven't gone all that smoothly with our designer, he really knows how to hire people.  I don't think I've met one person he has hired who has been anything other than friendly, professional, and competent.

It's not done, but here's an in-progress photo.  You can also see in it how the last corbel is now installed. 

3 comments:

  1. 1. I hope you feel better soon. Damn it!
    2. Congrats to Rachele for nabbing that title.
    3. The food was really good. I'm very excited to go out again in two weeks.
    4. When it's all done you should do a before and after posting of pics. Did I mention I love the garage doors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you're sick. So great that they had room for Avery at school.

    Also sorry I wasn't able to join you last night. I'm gonna try to make El Gaucho night. Stay tuned.

    I think the house is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Ditto
    2. Ditto
    3. Ditto
    4. Ditto

    ReplyDelete