Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beach

Beacheriffic
Avery and I made not one, but two trips to the beach today! The first was during my 4-hour stint of Avery-duty this morning. Avery and I headed down there with her bucket and shovels with the intent of building a sand castle. However, I didn't do a survery of the tools she opted to bring in her bucket, so we were missing the necessary molds to make building a castle easier. We ended up collecting sea shells and rocks and tossing them in the water. Since the water was very calm, we also waded into it to retrieve sea shells from the sea floor. I did not properly estimate the depth when going after a particular sea shell and ended up with waist high water. Not so much an issue when one is wearing a swimsuit, but a little odd when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Not to worry, though, I got the elusive shell! Avery, of course, quickly chucked it back into the sea.


Our second trip as an impromptu visit to the beach as Avery and I were walking around after dinner. After reading Sara's latest post on things she learned from Sara during the planning of Love Life 5K, I said, "Yes!" to Avery when she asked if we could walk along the beach as the sun set. Actually, first I said no becuase I didn't want to get my feet dirty again. Then I thought better of it and figured why not? We had a good time. I tried to show Avery how to throw properly, but I think she needs Pop Pop to help her with the mechanics. Maybe you'll join us on our next trip down, Dad?
Nappage
After a family lunch at the pool bar at the hotel, D took over for his 4-hour stint. He and Avery headed to the pool while I headed in to take a nap. I love, love, love to nap in our casa. There's something about the brightness of the sunshine outside and the whiteness of the sheets and then stillness of the day.
Community Goings On
As we were walking home from lunch, a homeowner friend of ours heard my voice and popped up onto their roof terrace to invite us in for a chat. It was good to catch up. We also learned that the guy who sold us our casa, who left the company years ago and is also a homeowner, was in town just for the night. So tonight we popped over and paid him a visit after dinner.


We learned there's a rush to get many of the custom beach lots completed since they'll be closing down the road that gives access to these lots. Once that road is closed, I imagine the cost of construction for the remaining lots will be considerably more.


We also learned that they'll be renumbering the casas. Appparently it's to enable the ambulances and emergency personnel to actually find the right casa since the current numbering scheme make no sense at all. You'll find a house in the 100's next to one in the 500's and then jump back to the 200's.
Birthfamily
Avery's aunt, her birthdad's sister, just friended me on Facebook! We haven't met her or Avery's paternal birth grandmother yet. She expressed an interest in meeting Avery and us, so hopefully we'll get to meet them soon. I love that Facebook makes these sorts of connections so much easier to establish. It doesn't build a relationship, but it definitely makes the logistics of establishing one easier.

1 comment:

  1. A mama who will get her feet dirty for her kid twice in one day is a great mama indeed!

    ReplyDelete